SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is their any way to put a key or ignition on a CRF 450x

I am planning on making this a street legal motard and I don't want somebody to be able to just jump on the bike, hit the e-start and go. My only current solution is a disk lock and to hide a kill switch somewhere on the bike that is out of sight

·
Registered
138 Posts
my ktm has a universal key switch that as far as i can tell is like a killswitch only keyed. it works and theoretically nobody could just jump on and haul ass, but i'm afraid if you just cut the wires the bike would fire right up. so anyone with any motorcycle knowhow would not take long to get past it. still your basic teenage joyrider thief would prolly not know what to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
my ktm has a universal key switch that as far as i can tell is like a killswitch only keyed. it works and theoretically nobody could just jump on and haul ass, but i'm afraid if you just cut the wires the bike would fire right up. so anyone with any motorcycle knowhow would not take long to get past it. still your basic teenage joyrider thief would prolly not know what to do.

yep yep yep, I feel like my best option is to search for a place to hide a kill switch

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah I think I need to find a place to hide a secret squirrel switch on mine. Airbox maybe?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use the one from Dual Sports America I think (it came with the bike).

Pic from their site:

Seems to work fine as long as you wire it up correctly. Not sure if you can buy it separately from them or not - and I haven't heard any great stuff about their service, but I've never had to deal with them either. Its got to be a pretty generic part - wondering if it could be found on ebay.

Edit:
This actually looks like the same switch, minus the handy mount. Wonder if that's custom made by DSA. I can't imagine it would be too hard to fab something up yourself. And no, none of this would be too hard to hot wire given the time, but it beats just walking up and pushing the button.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Key-...5678608QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
133 Posts
Best bet is a switch. Im gonna be wiring one on mine. Im thinking about sticking it on the back side of the frame.:headscrat I havent been able to look at it yet though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A friend of mine has a xr650r with the baja designs keyed switch on it. It uses the kill switch lead, which have the standard banana terminals. So if you simply yank the wiring, it seperates and will start. I suggested to him to feed the wiring through some tubing up until the switch and mount it under the tank. That way they can't simply cut the wires or yank them apart. Should be a fairly easy thing to fab up. Even if it isn't fool-proof, you just need to make it look harder than the nearest bike. Usually little things will make the opportunistic thief move on, unless someone is scouting out your ride, then pretty much nothing will stop them anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Best bet is a switch. Im gonna be wiring one on mine. Im thinking about sticking it on the back side of the frame.:headscrat I havent been able to look at it yet though.
do you mean a switch from like autozone or something???? no key or ignition??? explain please because i want to do something like this on my 450x

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yeah I think I need to find a place to hide a secret squirrel switch on mine. Airbox maybe?
I am just about to buy a WR450X and it has an ignition switch hidden inside the airbox. It is very slick and with the key removed will not really look like an ignition switch unless you know what you are looking at. Not sure how it is wired into the system or if it could be easily bypassed. I would never leave my bike lying around so it isn't so much of an issue for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts