SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day fellow SM'ers!! I'm new here and this is my first post, please forgive any newb mistakes with this.. I've seen a couple "one comment" exchanges but nothing in greater depth so here it goes.. And yes, I absolutely did my due diligence by researching everywhere prior to this.

I have a '03 CRF450R that's fully supermoto converted and also plated. I have a 5" rear rim. I just got some new ContiAttack Continental tires and seeing mixed feedback online with running a 150/60/17 on my 5" rim. I went off of amotorcyclenut.com and it states a 150/60/17 can potentially fit a rim of 3.5"-5.5" with an ideal/standard fit on a 4.25". I've also conversed with a mechanic who said this would be an ideal fit for the rear of my bike/setup.

Can you guys please advise if i'll be ok getting my 150/60/17 Contiattack fitted on my 5" rear rim??? I hope I didn't screw myself. 165 is way too big, and my current 160 is banged up from the chain, which I added a chain guard and that helped but it's still just a tad TOO big for my preference and I don't want to offset my wheel with spacers to the side all just cuz I'm trying to run this bigger tire, I want to leave it centered, run the chain guard but have a comfortably placed tire back there.

I'm really hoping for positive feedback on this but please be honest! Anyone on here run a 150 on a 5" rear??? And have no problems???

THANKS A LOT-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2003 CRF has narrow hubs, so chain will rub tire, you' ll need to move sprocket as closes as possible to inner edge of swing-arm. Use aftermarket spacers to do so. . 160 rear is the normal way you need to go.

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?148704-2013-CRF450R-supermoto-conversion/page2
Thanks for responding, KILLER bike by the way, nicely done. The tire I got, the Contiattack SM 150 is actually, surprisingly pretty wide. It's bigger than I thought it would be. I'm just waiting for my 17x3.5 front Excel & Spokes to show up so I can knock out both tire changes at the same time. I certainly believe you when you say a 160 w an offset rear is the ideal way to go, I just wanted to see if anyone knew if the 150/60/17 would fit on that 5" wide rim and/or be ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there nobody else that has experience with or know of anyone who has ran this set up; 150 tire on a 5" wide rear??? ? Come on fellas!!! I really appreciate anyone's feedback here, this is the top forum for all things supermoto, so this group would know best!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well fellow SMJ comrades, for what it's worth, my new 150/60/17 Contiattack rear tire fit GREAT on my 5" wide rim!! It fits perfectly back there on a CRF450R, no spacers to offset the wheel, no shaving the edge of the tire, no moving the sprocket, etc .... Now with that said, is this the best set up? Debatable for sure.. Would a 160 be the most ideal? Perhaps... I've seen very little correspondence on this issue of tire sizing on the rear, mainly for the CRF's narrow space to work with. Point being, this is SPECIFIC to the Contiattack tire. I can't say that any 150/60/17 will fit just fine on a 5" wide rim, but this brand DID. Absolutely NO distortion of the sidewalls, no stress/stretching, there's still even a slight angle inward on the sidewall. It's a big score that this tire did the job, and very well too.

Hopefully this helps the next guy who isn't sure and can't find enough material covering this.. It's important to note however, tires really do vary A-LOT regardless of them being the same exact size. It's very strange how that is, but like with shoes, you might be a 10.5 in Vans but that's way too big in a Chuck's size 10.5.

I'm really REALLY stoked it worked out this well cuz it's so important having the right fit and tread on our SM's, and there's no in-depth chatter on this specific sizing (150" on 5" hoop) for CRF's so it was a gamble that paid off...... thankfully.

Yes, very long to state the outcome, but it's important. Good day all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts