SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm normally in the KTM or Yamaha section having and having had both bikes . I've got my road bike and big bore supermoto . Beta is a great machine I considered but like the honda CRF450l even tough needs to be un corked and the maintenance is a little higher than some bikes but not as much as the KTM's .
I have seen more than a few new CRF450l's around ... Think there over priced , especially would have expected a Cush drive hub for 10k .
I'm in no hurry to over pay for one of these , I have seen a couple new 2019 left overs 8600 right now .
I did see a few reviews on these bikes any other info on likes or dis-likes would be great .
Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bought on anyway. ... Picked up a Yosh , Vortex and Thermostat delete so far waiting to install next week .

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my 450L for just over a year now and have really happy with it. The Vortex ECU and exhaust are must do mods.

So far I haven't read any concerns with the valves like the previous gens had. I'm due for my 2nd valve check in a couple hundred miles, but I don't expect to see any movement.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few of my buddies just bought a couple of these 2019 prices have been comming down in my area .I have not seen many problems with the newer 450 design yet .

Just sucks you have to spend the extra money to make these bikes run right .
My guys have all done Vortex and 2 yoshimura and one procirut exhaust .

All have done thermostat delete , we have tried both San Diego and Champion adventures delete and one guy just left housings in place and we plugged up the air .

I like Champions one piece design water manifold compared with the 2 pieces of San Diego but both kits work , I would say champion cheaps out on the misc parts , one of my buddies is still waiting on the electrical caps were forgot to pack them .

Champion uses a screw to block the vacuum port in the intake boot unlike San Diego uses nice machined brass plugs intake and air box ... Chmapion cheaps out on the misc parts .

I'm just finishing up this bike for one of my brothers .

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
The thermostat delete looks good. I might do that mod eventually. Next up on my list is a 450X subframe and rear fender, and possibly the air box from the 450R/RX. It doesn't look like the R/RX airbox perfectly bolts up to the X fender, though.

I also still need to de-smog the bike, but I don't know if that will cause any issues when I get it inspected.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have de-smoged 4 bikes so far , Vortex seemed to run the best with the Yosh . I don't mind the longer tail comes in handy with the Flatland racing rear little rack . If I was going for the supermoto look totally bob it .
Heads up with the flatland racing radiator protector , they do not include a lower spacer for the plastics , you would have to bend the crap out of your plastic and radiators to make the plastic fit properly .
Instead I machined up 2 aluminum spacers one for each side and makes the plastic fit like stock but you will also need a longer bolt .
I'm going to send flatland a email about this , average rider does not have a machine shop to fix this .

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also this crf450l had the Chanpion Adventures Delete and is starting to be problematic compared to the San Diego 2 piece .
The Champion has this weird coating like a powder coat but was suppose to be handed like a gun Kote . The Temp sensor threads in using the stock stainless steel sealing washer with the San Diego is un coated Aluminum and have not had any problems with leaking .
The Champion not the case , had to crank the crap out of the sensor once the bike was hot in order to get the sensor to spot leaking coolant .
So this sucks , cranked the crap our of it feeling it was close to possibly striping it . So its not leaking now , going to order a pack of 12x17mm copper sealing washers and possibly have to sand the coating down to the bare aluminum and use copper sealing washers .
So I would go with the San Diego kit for more bikes I do in the future .
Just a heads up .
Thanks
Greg
I have de-smoged 4 bikes so far , Vortex seemed to run the best with the Yosh . I don't mind the longer tail comes in handy with the Flatland racing rear little rack . If I was going for the supermoto look totally bob it .
Heads up with the flatland racing radiator protector , they do not include a lower spacer for the plastics , you would have to bend the crap out of your plastic and radiators to make the plastic fit properly .
Instead I machined up 2 aluminum spacers one for each side and makes the plastic fit like stock but you will also need a longer bolt .
I'm going to send flatland a email about this , average rider does not have a machine shop to fix this .

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts