SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Ryan here. -- First off Apologies if this is in the wrong section, there isn't a questions forum that I saw and this seemed like the best place.--

I have a few questions about the bike I plan on getting in the near future - The 2013 Honda CRF250L

I plan on converting it into a supermoto rather than a dual sport.

A few planned mods right out of the box- (All from the BestDualSportBikes.com stage 1 power kit)
FMF Power Core 4 exhaust
plug and play Pre-programmed fuel controller
13T front sprocket

Airbox mod to give it some more breathing room

I'm only stuck on what to do for one part, I've googled around and asked elsewhere but just not sure-
What do I need to do about the brakes/rims I know I need 17-inch rims but I' not sure how-abouts to getting the correct one
And from what I understand I'll also need to replace the brakes? Last question is what actual tires do you recommend?

Also any information to how much the wheels/tires/brakes would cost would also be great!

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

~Ryan

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been looking at the crf250L too. I can answer your questions, but I wish some one could shoe just how much it will cost to motard it out. I don't think its going to be as good as the wr250x is even with the added parts. I had hoped it would be close because I'm a heavy guy. But I still have hopes if it can be done without to much $$$$!

·
Registered
240 Posts
You should be able to lace up some 17" rims to your stock hubs and you can also use your stock front brake if you wanted to. But since it's for a street application, certainly wouldn't hurt to upgrade the front brakes to meet the added braking stress giving by smaller diamer wheels. Simple 320mm rotor kit that comes with a caliper relocation bracket to re-use your stock caliper would work just fine.

Prices will vary depending on brand and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
17" rims, spokes, tubes and tires will be ~$1000. I got a 250L about a month ago and have only put ~150 miles on it (road only) but i can tell you what my opinion is so far. For a new rider it is a great bike; its forgiving both in the turns and braking it is underpowered and also has a very flat power curve. But all those things also take some fun out of it. If you looking for a nice bike to sport around town and not interested in tearing up the local track with it, it will do.

If you want 17's i agree with the previous post and buy some rims to lace to the stock hubs, the 250L has 36 hole hubs.
Although I disagree about its effects on braking, 17" wheels will help the breaking situation;
(Force due to deacceleration on the road)*(Radius from the axel to the road) = (Force on rotors due to the pads)*(radius of the from the axel to the centerline of pads).
If the second half of the equation remain constaint and the radius to the road decreases then the force to deaccelerate can increase.

Considering the other performance aspects of the bike, it is my opinion that a significant investment in better braking would be a bad one. If you added the cost of the bike, power mods, wheels, tires, and brake it could buy on hell of a used SM bike. But ff you can get a 320mm rotor and bracket to use the stock rotor as the other post mentioned for cheap it would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Have you guys actually checked out how much that bike weighs? Yuck!
And I have always liked hondas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds Like I'll be switching to a WR then..

Well, After hearing from RoterAI (Thanks btw, to everyone who replied)

its forgiving both in the turns and braking it is underpowered and also has a very flat power curve. But all those things also take some fun out of it.
Also by a lot of other people telling me to get a WR because they're better all around, Not to mention the countless good things people tell me about WRs.
I think it would be in my best interest to change over to a WR250. As for it being a beginner bike, a 250 is really a 250, Plus it's all I'll ever need. Seeing as to how a 250 SM bike can EASILY pull highway speeds I'd never need any more.

I'm guessing It'd be about the same for new rims/spokes/tubes/tires (~~$1000) Add in another ~$2000 for power/aesthetic mods.
It'd be about $2000 more than the CRF (at current local prices, at least), but it seems well worth it.

I'd been wondering why the CRF was $4500 vs the $6700 of a WR (2013 models, I plan on buying new). Guess I know why.

Anyone care to share experience of good SM tires/rims/any parts at all you've used?
I'll take feedback/recommendations. Seeing as this is going to be a big purchase, I want to get it right.

Thanks again for the answers guys, Glad I found this forum. Nice community!

·
Registered
344 Posts
i work in a Honda dealership so i have taken our demo one out numerous times. All i can say is do not bother. It was never intended to be remotely snappy. It is seriously slow. Way slower than a wr250x. If this doesnt bother you then please ignore what i am saying but it is extremly slow, no way enough power for a supermoto. It is not a competition 250 off road bike, its designed to go a long way between oil changes ans is heavy for what it is. I was excited to take it as im a supermoto nutcase but i came back thinking this could not work as an SM in ANY situation. Please ride one before you decide to buy one and you will see what i mean, it is a great bike and could be good fun on trails and off road, but it is not a good candidate to convert trust me.

Maybe more power can be unlocked with the parts you listed but it just didnt feel like a SM. Seat and riding position where not like a usual SM and the seat was like a sofa

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew about the 250x but in my area you just can't get em', It's like the don't exist. Thanks though!

If you could find a leftover wr250x you would be set. As far as tires, how much road vs off road are you planning?
Sadly no leftover 250x for me :( I won't be doing much off road at all, Looking for some decent street tires, but still have the option of going down a little dirt road/ a little bit off every now a then, nothing extreme, really tame stuff. Like I said, not too much more than your occasional dirt road..or ''shortcut'' ;)

i work in a Honda dealership so i have taken our demo one out numerous times. All i can say is do not bother. It was never intended to be remotely snappy. It is seriously slow. Way slower than a wr250x. If this doesnt bother you then please ignore what i am saying but it is extremly slow, no way enough power for a supermoto. It is not a competition 250 off road bike, its designed to go a long way between oil changes ans is heavy for what it is. I was excited to take it as im a supermoto nutcase but i came back thinking this could not work as an SM in ANY situation. Please ride one before you decide to buy one and you will see what i mean, it is a great bike and could be good fun on trails and off road, but it is not a good candidate to convert trust me.

Maybe more power can be unlocked with the parts you listed but it just didnt feel like a SM. Seat and riding position where not like a usual SM and the seat was like a sofa
Thanks for this info, Very helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts