SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm building a 450x in a r chassis, currently aligning everything sprocket and wheel space wise. I've came up with a few good measurements and a rendering of a spacer.. I will be cutting the spacer in the next few days and would like to see if I should have a few made in order to help the ''crf'' owners out there with the chain rubbing, slapping and wheel alignment. Im not a fan of the wheel being offset so here is the opportunity to get a sprocket spacer.

let me know if some of you may be interested. thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Almost, .040 inch difference with the rear. What i did was flip the front along with a 1mm spacer on the counter, and then the spacer on the rear sprocket. Had to modify the chain slider and use a 150 tire on a 4.25 rim. Gives me almost 1/2 inch of space between the chain and tire which is normal and will prevent the chain from chewing the tire.
Most likely will add a custom chain slider to eliminate all slap. But the spacer plays the biggest role in this whole thing.
With the 100 and no spacer the chain rides on the tire or is about 1mm away from doing so. With the cost of the tires im not about to groove them which is completely counter productive and the wheel misalignment im not a fan of but will move the spoke a tad if i have to.

ill post pics when i finish mounting everything, possibly tomorrow

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you seen some of the supermoto style chain guards that are available?>
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?91473-New-CRF-Chain-Guide-for-Supermoto

What size rim & ture are you running?
Also are you running a narrow chain?

Certainly not knocking your idea or the fact that you are having a go & offering a product, I dont like the idea of offsetting the front sprocket & having to match up the rear, It may work fine for many years but you are putting a bit more force on the sprocket shaft & bearings etc then of course the chain slider does not line up, Seems like a whole lot more hassle then it needs to be, There is plenty out there running 4.25" rims & 150 tyres with no troubles, A narrow chain & some kind of chain guard to keep the chain away from the tire makes it even better/easier

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ve done a ton of research about slider and ways to fix the issue on crfs. Its pretty much physically impossible for a supermoto setup to work flawless unless you misaligned the wheel and I believe most flip the front sprocket. In my opinion I much rather space the sprockets than play with hub offset.

I'm running a 150 contiattack, on a 4.25 with a non o-ring did dz2.

Epic does not offer any product anymore or their site is down. The only nice slider i found was from hot foot moto, very nice kit, it also does not change the position of the chain so I would end up eating through chain slider.. second issue on that is is that its only for 05-09 crf
I've also considered making a slider from delrin plastics but again it would only be a band-aid not a fix.

Ill post pictures later today of a stock setup with no spacer vs a spaced and flipped sprocket. The chain literally rides on the tire.

My solution is not the best certainly not the cheapest, I would love to offer the spacer at a much lower cost. Unless I have a massive order the machinist I use is just not able to cut the cost down.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

before, chain is extremely close to riding on the tire

after, Much greater room between the tire and chain. The spacer made was pretty much the thickest we could
go before the sprocket hitting the swing arm.

The price was revised, It is now 100$ plus shipping. I make no profit, all goes to machine cost. I have 5 on hand
could be raw aluminum or anodized for extra cost. The more i ship the lower the price if the 5 sell great i will have more made.
lmk what you guys think

·
Registered
84 Posts
A very nice looking product, Im sure they will sell

I recently fitted a DID VT2 "NARROW CHAIN" as the CRF450X comes standard with a DID narrow chain

http://www.didchain.com/motoChains.html

The DZ2 chain is a basic/budget normal width chain, I know it is about a bee's dick difference but when I was looking at chains I figured I may as well go with a narrow chain as I was thinking about fitting supermoto wheels when I bought my bike

I think your idea is a better option than moving the rim over on the hub, There is probably plenty out there that have moved the rim over but I certainly wont, They manufacture motorbikes with the wheels in the middle at the front & back for a reason, Something to do with balance?

There is lots of variation in different brands/models of tires too within the same sizing eg 150/60-17, The full race slicks are mostly wider with a flatter profile & the road tires have a taller profile & may be slightly narrower & easier to fit?
Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to work it out with mine without too much trouble?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Nice looking spacer.:thumbup: I made some chain blocks and they work great. 5' rim with an attack 2 160 with no rub. But the battlax 160 has vary little rub, with a Regina 520 O-ring chain. Also no flip on the front sprocket.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice looking spacer.:thumbup: I made some chain blocks and they work great. 5' rim with an attack 2 160 with no rub. But the battlax 160 has vary little rub, with a Regina 520 O-ring chain. Also no flip on the front sprocket.
Has the 5" rim been offset at all?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Has the 5" rim been offset at all?
No offset on 5" Marchesini's. The battlax is a tight fit, attack 2 fits good. I've been testing tires hard the past few years.:D

Tyrap26, what year is your X? Also I use TM Designs, baja slides and mill off their chain block, and use my chain block. It seems to be working well, 3500 miles and still testing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well thats great to know your wheels is centered as it should be & you dont have to worry about spacing the rear sprocket & turning the front one around
Should be rather simple then to fit a 4.25" rim & 150 tyre on my CRF450X without mucking around with the sprockets

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well now were talking about a different wheel. Maybe a 5 inch width but
Machesini may not have the same size hub etc etc...but I don't have specs
I'm aware of the spoked wheel issue only.

Mine is actually a R bike with 05-06 X engine
I agree, I dont have specs either. Are you using stock hubs?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Marchenisi hub will be different of course but as MJ mentioned the front sprocket is stock & not rotated or spaced so if the rear sprocket is running straight inline with the front sprocket then it is physically in the same spot as the stock hub
I thought they would send the Marchenisi wheels setup for the rear sprocket to run true with the front sprocket?

I am going to be using stock hubs on my 09 CRF450X

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The Marchenisi hub will be different of course but as MJ mentioned the front sprocket is stock & not rotated or spaced so if the rear sprocket is running straight inline with the front sprocket then it is physically in the same spot as the stock hub
I thought they would send the Marchenisi wheels setup for the rear sprocket to run true with the front sprocket?

I am going to be using stock hubs on my 09 CRF450X
The front has a spacer but it's not much, what it's like 3mm.? With a fat 160 it's not enough rub for me to worry about.

Tyrap26, keep us posted, I'd like to see how it works for you.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well the story started with no rub, and no spacer now we are at a lil rub and a 3mm spacer... haha!! jk
Most Crf build I've looked require some spacing either the hub offset of some kind of a spacer to
properly have the chain aligned away from the rim and tire.

The spacer was mock up using a oem hub measurements, I'm running talon gold hubs. Basically same dimension but a machined version. Wheel spacers are stock size.

Thanks hope I have a few people interested.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts