SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 792 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been building a street legal 450R over the winter, spring, and summer. Decided to finally start this thread for all the pics I have of the build progress and a bunch of parts that were purchased along the way. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For starters, we have my original purchased bike

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not many pics of the tear down

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hold in there, the pics get a little better

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is about where I am at the moment. Well, alittle further. Maybe take a few shots today, got a few carbon fiber goodies installed, airbox back on... roughly still got new radiators on the way, radiator hoses to order, maybe some carb work and the headwork remaining.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eventually I plan to, but sometimes HID's are finicky if they dont have enough current to start the arc. So once I get my head and i few other things, I will initially use the stock H4 bulb, just because it's easier to troubleshoot if there are problems. I'm using the Trailtech stator kit that is supposed to be 70W DC at idle. Should suffice for the HID, but the battery is very small in the kit.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, these don't necessarily go in order, but I will try to approximate. Tore down the original bike that I bought because the valves were so far out that it wouldn't start and the bike was powdercoated a textured black that I wanted to redo something a bit different. The texture was heavy and held dirt in the grain.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a lot of chain rub. At least the tire wore out in the center before it ate through the side completely. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got some KTM parts that I think I'm going to use on the front end

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ehh some OEM KTM front fender screws

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a white SMR 450 front fender too. Not sure if I'm going white or black. Kinda would like a set of each...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and some KTM headlight straps

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fitting the KTM front fender... You will need to notch it to clear the lower triple clamp. Think you can make out the mark on the center rib.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Here is the trimmed area to clear the clamp.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here You Can See Just How Close the Bolt Pattern Matches Up. Note: I Opted to go Without the Fender Washers because the spacing is just a bit off. The washers take away the clearance you have with the holes in the fender. No Need to Drill

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trim about 1/2" from the rib

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
another view

and another

and mounted. :clap:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next the headlight mask... Forgot to point out that I'm using a '08 KTM SMC 690 fender and headlight/ headlight mask. It uses a H4 bulb. Later I plan to upgrade to HID.

Locate Hole ~ 10.70mm in From the Edge

Locate Hole ~ 12.70mm Down From the Corner

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kinda what I'm going for. The angle looks funny though because the forks aren't sitting at the angle like they would in the frame

1 - 20 of 792 Posts