SuperMoto Junkie banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hi Crash. Could you give me an estimate of how much a tall sidewalled duals port 18 inch rear tire affects final drive gearing relative to a typical 17 inch Motard rear? I am also building a Dual sport and want to try to keep the gearing a little shorter for offload but still have the ability to make short hops on the highway now and then.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hi Crash. Could you give me an estimate of how much a tall sidewalled duals port 18 inch rear tire affects final drive gearing relative to a typical 17 inch Motard rear? I am also building a Dual sport and want to try to keep the gearing a little shorter for offload but still have the ability to make short hops on the highway now and then.
I'd say the feel is similar to a two tooth difference. My 09 dual sport (geared 14/42) felt about the same as my 09 sumo (geared 14/40). Don't really have much more then that to really go on though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks, that's all I was looking for a rough guesss. I have 15/42 on the 17 inch wheeled Motard and going to try 15 50 on the Dual Sport. I am hoping if I keep highway speeds to around sixty I will be ok. The dual sport feels shorter geared for sure, but it is also noticeably more beastly. Maybe 15 /45 would hq e made more sense, but I had two 50 tooth rear sprockets already so I decided to try it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you look at gearingcommander.com you can look at gearing information. They often have the redline rpm incorrect, so the top speed in a given gear will be incorrect unless you set it, but you can compare setups.

A 110/100-18 rear (appears to be stock size on my WR) is supposed to be 18 + 2 * 110 * 1.00/25.4 = 26.66" tall. A 150/60-17 is supposed to be 17 + 2 * 150 * .6/25.4 = 24.09" tall. If those sizes are correct and you have a 42T rear on the 17s, to get the same gearing you want (26.66/24.09)*42 = 46.48.

I think lower gearing on dirt wheels makes sense, so the 50 seems reasonable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Crash,

I've been reading alot of your posts about the wr450's, they are very helpful.

I currently have a wr250x and I would like to get a wr450 next year.

On the yz's that there are rubber dampers on the clutch basket under the riveted plate on the back of the basket is it the same on the wr's ?

Is it really necessary to run a cush drive if these clutch dampers are on the wr ?

And maintenance wise, on french forums I've been told that the wr450 would not be a good street tarder because of the "frequent" oil changes and the piston and timing chain must be changed every 50 hours or so.:headscrat

Since you seem to have very little, if no issues with your wr's are those statement true ?

Thank you very much and ride safe :)

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hi Crash,

I've been reading alot of your posts about the wr450's, they are very helpful.

I currently have a wr250x and I would like to get a wr450 next year.

On the yz's that there are rubber dampers on the clutch basket under the riveted plate on the back of the basket is it the same on the wr's ?

Is it really necessary to run a cush drive if these clutch dampers are on the wr ?

And maintenance wise, on french forums I've been told that the wr450 would not be a good street tarder because of the "frequent" oil changes and the piston and timing chain must be changed every 50 hours or so.:headscrat

Since you seem to have very little, if no issues with your wr's are those statement true ?

Thank you very much and ride safe :)
I'm not completely sure about the clutch basket but a cush drive hub, though not required, will make life on the street a lot more user friendly.

The WR is a relatively low maintenance machine. Anyone saying that it takes an exorbitant amount of maintenance doesn't have real world experience. These bikes were engineered to be street legal and the 5 valve head design is a very low maintenance set up. I change my oil around 1k miles depending on what it looks like on the dipstick.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Got the front sprocket and chain on and got some other loose ends tied up. Now it's down to waiting for the last bit of hardware to show up and I'm going to get some radiator shrouds with custom graphics on order from Decal Works. This one is almost finished!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Crash - Awesome bike! I'm trying to add the '12+ WR headlight to my '06 WR, but the bottom mounts don't match up on the lower triple. Did you end up getting the '09 triple? In the pix, your headlight bottom mount and tab on the bottom triple line up exactly. thanks

41 - 59 of 59 Posts