SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

Well I've been riding and racing a bit in supermoto here in Brazil for about a year. I've been using a YZ250 two stroke and racing against the 450's in SM1. It's been fun but last year I freaked out and bought a CR500 motor on flea bay. I then got on craiglists and bought a donar 2002 CR250 and had my bro pick it up it Fort Worth, Texas. Over the next six months I proceeded to "transfer" the parts to Campinas, Brazil. I visit the US about twice a year (I'm from the states and married a Brazilian). Brazil is famous for high import taxes and we have limited options on motorcycles if you are on a limited budget.

On my next trip back I returned with the motor in a Givi top bag. Custom never stopped me and I was on my way. On the same trip I dismantled the CR250 and mailed out the frame and the rest of the parts over the next six months. Once I got the frame and motor together I hooked up with a local fabricator.He adapted the motor. It turned out pretty well. he ended up rotating the motor forward which handled the spark plug clearance issue. the pipe hangs a bit lower but it looks pretty good. I got my first ride a few weeks back. It's a monster. much more torque than the YZ250 and it feels lighter to boot. I've got some detailing to do still and more pictures to follow.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a few more

Can't wait to get her on the track. I've only around the block. I'm still recovering from highsiding my DR650 two months back. Did I mention I have a new two month old boy. Too much fun. Life is good.

Cheers!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coolant tubes

The two lines coming out of the head have 90 angles welded on the route them out the side. Also, as I mentioned the motor is rotated down slightly which also opens up clearance on the top. You can see this in the last photo.

The downside is the lower expansion chamber is below the lower frame rails. This could be a problem if I use in it the dirt. Also I'm a bit worried that the chain guide (swingarm) may wear prematurely on top. I've got to finish up a few details and get some time on the bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
couldn't you have just heated up the bottom of the tank and flexed it in, instead of rotating the motor forward?
Just a thought.
Btw how much did it cost to build the bike(if you don't mind)? I am looking into doing something like this and can't decide if I want to put a motor in a newer frame or just get a cr500...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cost

You know I didn't keep really good track of cost. I spent over $5 but the wheels alone were $1800. I paid too much for the engine on ebay ($1500. The donar bike was $1800 and I sold the motor and some things for $700. I could have done both of those for about a grand cheaper if I had patience. It hard to have when you get the fever. I still haven't rode it on a track. My shoulder is healing still.
Btw how much did it cost to build the bike(if you don't mind)? I am looking into doing something like this and can't decide if I want to put a motor in a newer frame or just get a cr500...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
postion

You could do that yes. The idea was to also open up space at the Y so it could be done without rebuilding the Y. Instead it was just clearanced. My concern is it moved the countershaft/swingarm pivot relationship slighty. We'll see how it goes.
couldn't you have just heated up the bottom of the tank and flexed it in, instead of rotating the motor forward?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
banned

damm beautiful. new desktop pic. still working on mine. dude he beat us. haha hey are you on the bannedcr500riders.com site?
I gotta sign up for the site. I droll through there all the time and like the site. It's more laided back than the CR500riders.com.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Congrats on the new little one! I became a first time dad recently as well. It's freaky the shit I think about now as I fly into the twisties.

The bike is beautiful too. Nice job.

Can't wait to get her on the track. I've only around the block. I'm still recovering from highsiding my DR650 two months back. Did I mention I have a new two month old boy. Too much fun. Life is good.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts