SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother recently bought this... http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?115855-Street-Legal-97-CR500 and it's now in my garage for the conversion. The plan is a Warp 9 kit, Trail Tech Vapor, possibly improve the barely adequate electrical system ,steel front brake line, new brake pads, a catch can for the coolant and a kick stand.....
So, now the questions.
Street gearing - Bike has 14/45-112 link chain. Looks like you have to stay with a 14 front to retain the case saver, so I'm thinking 14/40 - 108 chain? The Warp 9 kit says it comes with a 44 and I'm unsure what aftermarket sprocket works with the Warp 9 wheels.
Trail Tech Vapor - I assume will work for this bike, speedo ,tach and temp? The electrical system only puts out 45 watts AC, no battery. Would it be fairly simple to adapt a battery? I think it has a regulator but no rectifier.
Brakes - What brake pads would be best for the Warp 9 320mm rotor using the stock caliper? I'm guessing HH sintered if available.
Catch can - If it boils over I'd like it to retain the coolant. Any suggestions?
Kick Stand - I can only find 2 options... Pro Moto Billet which bolts to the frame or Ricochet which mounts to the swingarm.
Also, the engine case hole for the transmission drain bolt is stripped. The bolt that was in there was a M16 x 1.5, already oversized from stock I think. Any ideas on a fix there? Not much room to play with due to the oversized bolt.
Thanks for any help you can give.:thumbup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
My brother recently bought this... http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?115855-Street-Legal-97-CR500 and it's now in my garage for the conversion. The plan is a Warp 9 kit, Trail Tech Vapor, possibly improve the barely adequate electrical system ,steel front brake line, new brake pads, a catch can for the coolant and a kick stand.....
So, now the questions.
Street gearing - Bike has 14/45-112 link chain. Looks like you have to stay with a 14 front to retain the case saver, so I'm thinking 14/40 - 108 chain? The Warp 9 kit says it comes with a 44 and I'm unsure what aftermarket sprocket works with the Warp 9 wheels.
Trail Tech Vapor - I assume will work for this bike, speedo ,tach and temp? The electrical system only puts out 45 watts AC, no battery. Would it be fairly simple to adapt a battery? I think it has a regulator but no rectifier.
Brakes - What brake pads would be best for the Warp 9 320mm rotor using the stock caliper? I'm guessing HH sintered if available.
Catch can - If it boils over I'd like it to retain the coolant. Any suggestions?
Kick Stand - I can only find 2 options... Pro Moto Billet which bolts to the frame or Ricochet which mounts to the swingarm.
Also, the engine case hole for the transmission drain bolt is stripped. The bolt that was in there was a M16 x 1.5, already oversized from stock I think. Any ideas on a fix there? Not much room to play with due to the oversized bolt.
Thanks for any help you can give.:thumbup:
I'll start with the drain bolt. You need to either retap it, or you possibly would need to heli coil it.

The trail tech can either run on it's own battery or hooked up to a battery, so your good on that.

I'd run HH sintered pads for better stopping power.

Your chain is probably a 520, but I could be wrong.

Warp 9 may have a specific type of sprocket that fits. Should be pretty easy to find out.

You may have to much fluid in your radiator system, hence the boil over, but running a fan might help to keep things cool. Most dirt bikes were not designed to sit at traffic lights, which could be a reason for your heating issue.

For your kick stand, just pick your flavor. I personally would go for the frame mounted one. Seems like it would be easier to use.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about tire/chain rub? I'll be using a 4.25"x17" rear wheel with a 150/60-17 Pilot Power. Should I order a standard chain or will an O-ring chain fit. Looks tight to me comparing it to my 510 with the same wheel/tire combo.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What about tire/chain rub? I'll be using a 4.25"x17" rear wheel with a 150/60-17 Pilot Power. Should I order a standard chain or will an O-ring chain fit. Looks tight to me comparing it to my 510 with the same wheel/tire combo.
You should clear it. If not, offset ( dish ) it to the right a couple of mils.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 99 CR500 street legal supermoto and bought a set of Warp 9 wheels. It also came with a 44 tooth rear sprocket, I installed a 39 as it was the lowest I could find at the time. The front is a 15 but I'm not running the case saver, just the sprocket guard. With my Trail Tech Vapor installed and verified with GPS, it will run at 2600 rpms at 70 mph comfortably on the highway. 1st gear is a bit rough with the clutch since I can't let it out fully till around 18-20 mph but well worth the topend speed which I've already hit 115mph so far.

I ended up buying a 96 CR250 lighting stator from Ebay that puts out 85 watts and can easily handle the 4 bulb LED I purchased from Rigid Industries website. I had to fab up the mount but its a no brainer to get in the headlight plate. The stator needs to have a small collar inserted where it mates to the cases and I found that the tip of an 03 CR125 exhaust manifold works great. I cut the end off using my mini lathe and it fit perfect to center the stator. Now I have a better ignition curve that revs slightly higher and still have good power output as I had issues with starting on 2 different (new) Service Honda systems (140 watts). The bike would barely start and backfire alot, then cut out completely while riding. They made good on my issue by sending me another new system but it did not cure the issue. I think they had issues with the vendor though and stopped selling them if I'm not mistaken.

I found a cool catch can system for the carb vent tubes and the crankcase vent tube which collects in a long tube zip tied under the swingarm and can be easily unplugged for draining. Also got a real overflow can for the radiator that works like the ones found in a car. It has a clear tube on the outside of it that shows you the level.

For those hot summer days that I get caught in traffic over here in NJ, I installed a fan with a manual switch. It's a 4" fan mounted on the back of the right side radiator. Had to trim it up a bit but it sure does work at cooling the temps down when sitting still. Some people have said that it would not be waterproof so I made sure all access points top the electrics were sealed off with silicone. My temps usually don't go above 190 on the hottest days and the sensor from the vapor is on the return hose on the left side coming from the head.

For the rear wheel rubbing I have a 150/17 and the chain dis rub a bit, so I decided to make my own chain guide out of an 85 CR500 one laying around. They worked back then and they work today! There are really nice ones out the that are a direct fit, as I found out after creating my own.

Here is a short video I made showing off the lights and the fan. Feel free to browse the other videos I have too. Be gentle on the one puttin around town, it was one of the first shake down runs and I still wasn't confident that the local PD would consider it "street legal". I didn't want any unwanted attention drawn to me. Although now I am learning that this bike may just be invisible to the cops due to all the shenanigans I've already gotten away with right in front of them. lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eich_F0iFNs

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of good info there, thanks. Are you running a standard or O-ring chain? Feel free to post up some pics for reference on the fan/catch can/over flow/chain guard. Thanks again.:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't see a need for an o-ring chain in my application. I'm running a standard EK $40 chain and it lasts almost as long as my DID ERT gold chains I run in the dirt on my AF500. I tried the ERT on the SM500 and it actually broke. I thought it was due to all the traction I was getting and then the slap it produces at certain cruising speeds. 2-strokes don't make the best choice for a relaxed ride down the road. After that I decided to get the standard chain and just epoxy the master link for now till I get good at riveting the ends together like the big boys do on full size street machines. Let me find some good pics and maybe even a better video that shows the rest of the items you mentioned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess I don't have that many pics of anything else, I thought I did. This one is on the chain side but there's not much to show. I fabbed up a piece of sheet metal and mounted an 85 CR500 chain guide to it, then mounted it to the swingarm where the chain slider holes are. This is how my 85 looks but the unit is mounted to a special mount on the 85 swingarm itself, that's why I had to fab a bracket for this one. And I just noticed that my 85 is present in one of the pics below. The second pic is how I installed the temp sensor in the rad hose.
Here is a link to where I got my catch can for the fuel and crankcase hoses. They all attach to it then the larger hose is routed to the swingarm and zip tied. Here's the link.
http://www.motostrano.com/sucacan.html
And here is the coolant hose tank I purchased.
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.advance...cle=0040_Coolant+Containment+System+=28CCS=29
For the fan, I just mounted a PC fan like you would a trans cooler, with zip ties. But I used plastic washers and pre cut the locking ends before zipping them on. One day I will get out there and take some close up pics of everything. Hope this helps. And don't forget to check out www.rigidindustries.com for the LED headlilghts, they come as a pair and are called "Duallies". I got the spotlight config as they also offer a flood light setup that I wasn't interested in since I needed to have the light for distance on the road. Works great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chain Guide

Hey JumpingJoe, nice bike ! can you do a close up pic of that chain guide ? I haven't seen the 85 one and need to fab one up similar - thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry for the delay, been building a YZ144 for this weekend of riding on the 4th and trying to get ready. I would say just google an image of the 85 chain guide. The trick is to have wear resistant plastic composite material so it won't wear so quickly, that's why I chose something already designed for this task. You also have to make sure that the mounts are counter sunk so the chain won't catch the bolts. I simply bent a piece of sheet metal and used the stock chain slider mounting holes to bolt it down (no extra holes in swingarm) and installed it under the chain slider. The sheet metal has to be thick enough not to bend too easily also. Lots of fit/cut/fit/cut to get it right but in the end it's been on there almost a year with excellent wear resistance similar to as if it were on the dirtbike. I'd really like to create a spring loaded chain tensioner. It would eliminate the guide and help with the chain slap that 2-strokes are notorious for at mid throttle cruising speeds. I usally end up slipping the clutch while cruising to ease the kickback and save the chain. I would think that a pulley tensioner from a small engined car would work mounted somehow where the lower chain roller is located. I would have to customize a roller that would hold the chain inside it like having walls on the side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey JumpingJoe, I agree with you about a chain tension-er, that would solve a lot of problems and increase chain life, why have we gone away from them ? anyway what I built was a pair of rollers to stop side float into the tire, I ended up with 1mm chain to tire clearance if that so the rollers are in contact with the chain full time, I slotted the mounting plate so that as the rollers wear they can be moved in, this is a prototype only for now YMMV - see pics for concept, mobile phone so quality is average :( thing is it is working out well for now - 2T500

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess that's the way I'll go. Just didn't want to drill/ tap the swingarm. I made a roller assembly similar to that for my 510 and it works great. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
557 Posts
cool chain roller setup...

as for running a catch can i dont have one on my AFC500 here in arizona (lake havasu) and i have yet to loose any coolant from the system while riding single track.. i run distilled water and water wetter.... dont fill it to the top.. leave about a 1/4" space above tubes...
i really would love to get a temp guage on it but no money for extras with no job.. :headshake
i really wish i could pick up a set of 17's but the stock wheels work well for my street/dirt riding... :thumbup:
im running a trailtech fender and 8 cell battery to power my drz headlight and taillight... i dont ride at night so no worries..
cops dont even look at me cause of the drz headlight.. :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts