SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cr500 and a cr500af. The af came with two sets of wheels and I just bought some excels for it (dirt set-up). Now I have some extra wheels laying around that I would like to use. Of course I have two 21" and an 18" and a 19". The steel frome 500 is plated. My question is which one should I lace up for the front? The 18" or 19"? Would it be better to have the 19" on front kinda like a sportsman set-up (bigger up front)? Or have the 18" up front to put more weight up front? Also, tire choices for each scenario. I wanna make sure the front is not wider than the rear tire. I don't care if they are the same width.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the funds right now for a 17" set-up. I wish I did, but what I do have is a 18" and a 19"

·
Registered
797 Posts
cool man, go dirttrack style

to handle the best, make it match the rear, which i think is an 18? you need to get custom spokes for yourt rear hub so you can go 19 in back...first thing...i dont remember what a stock 500 comes with.... i think an 18.... all other MXrs come with a 19 rear.... go with dual 19 inch setups.... the 19 will be better on the rear for street and also in the front.... then you need to source some maxxis dirttrack tires (19 inch) and you'll be set...
i dont like maxxis supermoto tires but if you put a 19 inch front on the rear of your bike in sportsman they work very well..... pretty sticky with predictable slides ( well as predictable as anything gets on a 500).... just my opinion but from experience, the 19 worked better on both ends all the way around. dual 18's might work, but i dont know what tires you could run besisdes a cheng shin trials tire or something

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey chach. Do you know if '96 cr250 front hub will work on my '97 cr500? I found a set of 19" with tires for $350 shipped on here from terminator. I looked at some schematics and the rear hub is the same part number, but the front hub has a different part number. Some one let me know ASAP!

·
Registered
797 Posts
id do it anyway

man im not positive but i believe it is the same fitup...you might have to swap bearings and the middle bushing if there was an axle bore diff.... .....or if you had to, id bet money those spokes and nipples would adapt right to your hub at the spokes if the hub bearings or hub is different....just a guess but you should be good to go..... early 500 front wheels swap to later so why wouldnt the 250? usually its the rear that doesnt interchange but thats 97 and later aluminum 250's so id be very suprised if the 250 wheel and the 500 wheel werent identical for 96 and i know a 96 500 wheel will fit a 97 so ........there might be a rotor screw difference (some later front and rear rotors wont fit earlier hubs even though the size is the same and the caliper clamps both as the bolt holes and mounting patterns are just different) GO FOR IT! You won't be sorry and in my opinion, a dual 19inch streettracker is just as lethal if not more compared to 17's in a not so track perfect street traction setting (gravel, paint, uneven surfaces and chuckholes) of course if you dont post pictures you are a sally! I love supermoto but true 500 2 stroke street trackers are more rare to see!!! Sean

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. I'm doing the paypal trans today. With any luck I'll have them by Monday. Yeah I had a yz450f sportsman and it was way funner to ride on the street than my 525smr is. So I think the 500 is gonna be a blast with this set-up. I will try to post pics. It's kinda hard cuz I don't have a digi. But I will try asap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts