SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres my situation, i can get a SMOKIN good deal on an 02 cr250 but already have an 08 crf250 MX bike but always wanted another 2 stroke. but have been looking at getting a motard for daily commute to work, bout 20 miles one way. i want something fun but nothing too slow. do you guys thinks its reasonable and practical to make my 2 stroke into a street legal daily commute bike? i mean, with all the extras i need to make it street legal, lights, tires etc. is it worth it? also more importantly, what kind of fuel economy am i looking at here?

·
Registered
516 Posts
My ktm 250 gets anywhere from 30-45.....saw 50 once or twice. It depends how much you are on the pipe. In traffic, you arent on the pipe much or you'll hit cars........lol. I just keep a small 8oz. bottle of HP2 in the tailbag and some pre-mix in the garage. Just gear it right, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much money did it cost ya to make it street legal? with the rims, tires, blinkers, speedometer, headlight, etc..?

·
4,852 Posts
how much money did it cost ya to make it street legal? with the rims, tires, blinkers, speedometer, headlight, etc..?
More money than it would be to just buy a sm that is already street legal. Not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
859 Posts
More money than it would be to just buy a sm that is already street legal. Not worth it in my opinion.
but he said he's been wanting another 2 stroke, and 250 2 strokes are so much fun. i was thinking about throwing my sprockets/wheels on mine at times. i don't know of any new sm's already street legal that are 2 stroke

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
it adds up pretty quick.. so it depends on how thrifty you are.
if you go buy everything from someplace like Baja Designs, it costs an arm and a leg.

if you scrounge ebay, forums, etc, and do it yourself, its still not cheap, but its alot less then the other option.

heres an example.
for just the brake light:
you need a lighting stator for power.
the regulator/rectifier
a battery
the light itself
the mount for the light
the hydraulic switch to turn on the light.
different color wire to build/run the harness
wire connectors
heatshrink/solder

sure the last few items seem small, but all the small things add up.
with that above, you still need switches, headlight, headlight relay, etc...

the huge price diff comes in things like the regulator/rectifier for example.. it can be over $100 new.. or $10 if you get a used one from some bike (because it really doesnt matter for the most part...)
same with the handlebar switches... new is $$$$$ used can be almost free.
im not going to lie, its work... but if you do it yourself, it can be done reasonably... or you can go way overboard and EASILY spend more then the bike is worth.

the question is how bad to you want it? knowing that, whats your budget? and finally, be honest with yourself of what you can do, and figure out if you need to buy a kit or if you can piece it together. think it thru first, dont jump ahead of yourself, and you can answer the question for yourself better then we can answer it for you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not looking to spend an arm and leg. but im only buying the bike for 1400 so i have money left over to make this thing street legal. how much could i expect to pay for a descent set of rims and wheels?

·
Registered
859 Posts
i paid 1K on here for my used wheel/tire/brake setup that came with of barely used excels with new pirelli's, front moto-master rotor and bracket, and rear sprocket and rotor. look around in the classifieds and shop around for a little while and you'll run across a good deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts