SuperMoto Junkie banner

CR 250 vs. low budget

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  spermotoduke 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm having lots and lots of doubts in this one.

Currently I'm trying to enter my national championship - portuguese - but I have no sponsors and almost no money... All the money I have is all the money I can get from selling my cbr 125.

I am thinking of maybe buying a cr 250 (2-stroke) and race it - If I have a single sponsor to cover my license, tires, gas, etc.

But I'm afraid that the CR won't be competitive, and if it's not, what's the point of racing?

I am kind of lost in the middle of all of this, so waht do you sugest? Thanks

#2 ·
So much views but no coments? C'mon, this situation is really eating my brains out, every time I look at that cr250, I feel it has to be mine, that price plus that great looking bike? It has polished aluminum frame, its all red and black engine covers also polished - if I'd bought it I'd put some carbon fiber covering it on race days - and it comes with supermoto wheels and brakes, and motocross wheels.

My only question is if it would be competitive on the tracks... Help, please

#3 ·
1st let me say I suck at pavement but am learning about the value of tires in SM.

I had a 426....sold it but kept the spare wheels and tossed them on my YZ250. I feel just as fast if not faster with the lighter weight. I quickly found that the gearing is critical when trying to keep up with the 4 strokes torque coming out of turns.

#4 ·
And the problem of the 2-stroke not having engine-brake? I know it's harder to backin it in, but I also know that backin it in isn't mandatory, but it might be helpfull no?

My other problem has to do with the power output and throttle control, is it possible to turn a 2-stroke engine to a more linear power output? Even if it loose a few horsepower I think it would be helpfull on track...

#5 ·
You could talk with a 2-stroke expert to be sure, but if you change the port height by throwing in a few base gaskets and then shave the head a bit, the power can be made to be a little more on the low end side rather than from the midrange up. A different pipe may help as well. There are guys who make pipes that will put the power any place you want it.

Good luck.

Paul G

#12 ·
When you change the rear sprocket to a smaller one for more top speed it will smooth the power a lot. My bike is tuned for more mid-top with a V-Force reed block & FMF SST pipe & silencer. This combination gave me a lot mor over rev.

He as kidding you about buying a new powerband.........

#13 ·
Yeah, I already tought of that, but then i remember that you said i needed good gearing (I assumed a short gearing) to keep up when getting out of the curves.

When on a short gearing - as I think you do - and going out the curve isn't the bike to hard to controle?

Thanks

#16 ·
ya i was just joking about the powerband. Sorry

A great benefit of having a cr250 changed to supermoto is that you can throw some dirt tires on it and have a pure dirt bike. And then you can have just as much fun offroad. Keep us updated on the situation.

The powerband joke did work once on here, the thread started out as a joke but a newer member fell for it and it got drug out for a bit.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=48260

#17 ·
Yeah, I'll try to keep up posts on this, but I still haven't heard from the seller. When I get my cellphone operational again I'll call him the first thing!

The damn CR is so F***ing good looking...

I'm allready thinkin' 'bout changing the rear, though. Maybe SVX style :p

#18 ·
Just for you to know that I've contacted the dude.

He won't accept my bike as a trade as he just want to get rid of the bike as he needs the money.

Inspite of that he said that if I sell my bike for the 2500€ - or if I get that money anyhow - he'll sell his at that price, inspite he's sellin't for 2800€. It has doc's and it's road legal.

I don't know if it's homolgated with the stuff it come's on the bike. The frontal light is different, but maybe there's no problem with that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.