SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy guys and ladies,
I'm new to super moto. I'm looking to get a new cycle for myself. I came across the 450 motard. It really tripped my attention.
now I got a couple questions to dealer(if your out there) or experienced ATK owners.
#1. the stock 450 runs about 48 hp. with the 490 cc big bore kit with a pipe(if you offer one or aftermarket supplier offers one) what kind of HP am i looking at.
#2. can you make an ATK 450/490 supermoto street legal?
#3. will a 490 be safe to run on interstate speeds(70-75 mph)
#4. can you hook up turn signals and a speedometer(aftermarket or from factory) cause i don't want the police running me down. :lol:
#5. I've ridden Hondas and Yamahas all my life would you compare the build craftsmanship worse,about the same or better than most other import bike builders.
#6. How is factory/dealer support? what i mean by that if a part breaks and i need to get that part fairly fast to they get it out in the mail ASAP or do they "horse around?"
thanks in advance

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
ATK is NOT pretty much dead. They are alive and well and still building/piecing together bikes here in Centerville, Utah.

ATK's of course are re-branded Cannondale bikes, which they bought after Cannondale went out of business. ATK fixed the problems and sell them as ATK's.
I don't know of any aftermarket slipons for them though.

They are reliable if they have the upgraded crank kit (ie, roller bearings), and a few other doodads. I would be ok running a big bore at those speeds. And yes, just like any other modern 450 you can get a street legal kit. ATK sells kits but you could also easily mod your own.

I used to own one of their Rotax 605's that I supermotoed. I'd love to own another American build dirtbike as well. ATK parts are very easy to get, you order straight from the factory and they go out quickly; not like your local dealer where if they don't have the part in stock you have to order it from the, where they order it from Honda and 3 weeks later you get your part.

Here is a pic of my old bike.

Here's one of their early (Cannondale I mean...) MX versions. My favorite because of the bodywork lines.

Here is a latter model MX version as well, updated bodywork.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts