SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to change out my front brake pads for some nice new fresh ones. What is the best procedure to correctly bed in a new set? I dont want them to glaze over like my last pair.

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
I always go easy on them, never any hard stops (Unless I have to). Just slow controlled stops with plenty of time inbetween giving them a chance to cool.

·
Registered
527 Posts
yes, but you don't want to go too easy as this can glaze them over too. You want to go hard enough to heat them up nice and good, then give them time to cool down and heat them up again. You also want to make sure you are braking hard enough for some of the pad material to rub into the rotor.

I usually get up to about 60km/h brake hard to about 40 then right back up to 60 and back to 40 again. I do that a few times, then I get on the highway and brake as hard as I can safely at highway speeds a few times, getting faster every time.

You don't actually want to come to a stop if you don't have to...just heat them up, cool them down, rinse and repeat...

·
Registered
819 Posts
yes a few heat cycles is the way to do it.

start off at a slow speed, this will set the pads to the proper position in the caliper.
and work your way up to higher speeds. but leave enough time in between stopping to cool the pads.

i usually follow with a good 40mph quick stop and then shut off the bike, again to let the pads cool.

·
Registered
319 Posts
heating and cooling like the other guys said, with the initial brake usage kinda light to bed everything in. And make sure you don't get any brake fluid on the pads new or old if you're doing any other brake work!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Most important- especially when changing pad commpound or brand, is to clean the rotors. Some methods are media blasting the rotor (I don't like it since it is a pita to clean all the media from the flaoter buttons), ball hone (expensive-but works awesome) or the elbow grease way (little brake cleaner, red scotchbrite pad and 600 grit paper).

Clean the rotor with brakeclean and a rag. Use pad and cleaner and scrub with the grain of the rotor (follow the circle), then lightly sand with the 600 grit in a circular motion all the way around. wear rubber gloves so your skin oils do not contaminate the clean rotor or pad and make sure while assembling not to get any grease or oil on either.

After install- ride at 30 or so and make some long gradual slow stops to near stopped then go again about ten times. Then ride as normal for a bit with some hard stops (but not to full stop) then you are all set. There are as many ways to bed in pads as there are favorite oils. The key is the clean and introduce the pads to each other in a gradual fashion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts