SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys. i just got my conversion done on my 426, and i have had it out a few times now and it just feels weird to me comming off of dirt. I dont know if something is wrong with my setup or if this is just how tards handle.

When i wanna turn i HAVE to lean, no ifs, ands, or buts. Even when going very slow the bars do not want to turn easily. When im just sitting there they turn fine tho. It corners amazingly and backs in real nice when i lean it over. Is this normal? Or should i ba able to trun at like 5 mph without leaning at all...

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
No you shouldn't have to lean. If you're coming from dirt, I'm gonna ask the obvious question. You do know about countersterring right? If not, here ya go

http://sport-motorcycles.suite101.com/article.cfm/countersteering

Go easy at first, supermoto style bikes should respond super quick unless something is wrong with your scoot. Good luck man.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats not what im talking about. i know about counter steer, i also ride sport bikes too. its just when im rolling the bars are really stiff, like when i turn they will only go so far or be really quick from straight to turning... i dont really know how to explane it besides that... like if i wanna stay straight up the steering feels goofy compared to dirt, but if i lean it a little its works fine. its almost acting like a sport bike more than a dirt bike...

·
Registered
448 Posts
pull your top triple off and check for junk in teh steering head bearings...

i replace mine on my YZ426 2 years ago... recently, it started steering weird... ride for 30min in a straight line, go to turn into a parking lot, and i would have to YANK the bars... freaky.

finally pulled the triples off and the top bearing had gotten water and mud in it and rusted everything despite the grease in there.

At a stop, it felt normal though.

check the bearings, replace if bad. Steering will be sweet again.

the YZ426 should throw down into a corner SUPER easy. even on stock dirt suspension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts