SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am pretty sure standing is not illegal in California. I know I've ridden by cops while standing up and they didn't even look twice.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I saw recently on one of the boards that standing is illegal altho it was hard to dig out of the law book. :headscrat

·
Registered
623 Posts
They might try to hit you with wreckless driving but one of the questions on the Hawaii Motorcycle Written Test is what to do if there is a foreign object in the roadway and you are unable to safely avoid it?

Answer: Stand up on your footpegs, increase throttle and ride over the object.

I guess it must be legal then to stand while riding (here in Hawaii at least)!

·
Registered
772 Posts
got pulled over in an up-tight town (know for cops with starched pants, and chaffed balls) for standing. accused me of "pullin' tricks" but that's what my hoes or for i thought... told him I had a hell of a case of swamp-ass, and was trying to dry my junk off. I got a look that cannot be described and he handed me back my papers.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
They might try to hit you with wreckless driving but one of the questions on the Hawaii Motorcycle Written Test is what to do if there is a foreign object in the roadway and you are unable to safely avoid it?

Ya know what? Now that you mention it I thought that was on the Connecticut test too.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
"told him I had a hell of a case of swamp-ass, and was trying to dry my junk off"

I have got to remember that. That'd be really funny here in Chicago now that the weather has started to change
Not supposed to break 50 tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I know it's illegal in Wisconsin also, buddy got yanked for standing on his hyper. Just got a warning though. On the motorcycle test in MN they have that same question and answer on the test. What a joke, everyone knows on these types of bikes that if you stand you have just as much control or more.
I can't stand weasel squeezers, they should just stay on the designated path and mind there own business.:headshake

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You guys have it easy. I'm from Ontario, Canada. That should strike confusion into everyone here as to why I ride a motorcycle at all. The laws up here are freakin' crazy. Standing... that's considered "stunting" in the eyes of the law and thats immediate impound of your vehicle, and immediate suspension of your license at the side of the road. They say, no exceptions, zero tolerance. Than you have to go to court. That's right, they suspend your license and take your vehicle before you're even convicted of anything. Once convicted, the fine is from $2000 to $10,000 and possibly up to 6 months in prison. If you were to take your foot off of your peg while going around a corner and a cop saw that. That could fall under the "stunt" law as well. If your caught doing 30mph over the posted speed limit, same thing. But the law calls that "racing". Even if your the only one around. If your bike is towed and impounded and you're found not guilty in court, you still have to pay the towing and impound fees. Which in some cases is over $1000. An OPP officer was found out to be pulling over cars that were doing the speed limit and saying that they were doing at least 30mph over. He had charged over 50 people with "racing" when they weren't doing anything. He got a doctor once who had a fantastic lawyer. The lawyer found out what was going on and they managed to prove it in court. There was an investigation and they pulled this cop off the road. How many other people have been wrongfully charged and/or convicted just because the issuing police officer doesn't have to show any proof to the court that you were actually doing 30 over? Also the law states that the judge does not have to allow the person defending themselves to show or request evidence that shows they are not guilty. So in other words the only way you would have a chance to defend yourself against this law is if you had a great lawyer that could convince the presiding judge that it would be in the courts best interest to allow the defense to present a case.
And it's getting worse. They're trying to ban everything up here. Right hand drive cars (oh, but postal trucks and garbage trucks don't count), "performance enhancing" parts, and there's some politicians that want to ban bikes that "look like dirt bikes". They almost did it in Quebec. Even if the manufacturer jumps through all the hoops that are already in place, the gov will still close the door in their face and say (for example) that DRZ looks like a 'dirt bike' so you can't sell it for road use. Or that KTM Adventure looks like a 'dirt bike' so you can't sell it for road use. Of course I doubt this will pass but they're still going to try anyway. WARNING POLICE STATE

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

Same here in VA... If standing is illegal in your state, than your state is wrong, and the law was written by an idiot... :lol:
What's next?? Seat belts?!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I stand all the time. Sometimes for more then 5 miles at a clip. The seat on my Husky is literally painful after 30-45 minutes. I always sit at the first sign of Johny Law. I figure it's better to not give him extra reasons to pull me over.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Got pulled over for standing just a few months back, got a ticket for my smart ass remark of "glad that's all you got me for!" Went to court with the CA motorcycle hand book and the msr riding course test that both have the question of what to do if you see a foreign object in front of you, and they both said rise up off the seat. The judge asked what I needed to rise up for and I said a pot hole. Judge let me off with a warning and a word of advise, "Don't be a smart ass to a LEO."

·
Registered
922 Posts
They figure that you are going to do a stand up wheelie... I've come to figure that if people don't do it on a harley then it's illegal on a motorcycle in the eyes of the law, ie standing up, weaving etc.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
They figure that you are going to do a stand up wheelie... I've come to figure that if people don't do it on a harley then it's illegal on a motorcycle in the eyes of the law, ie standing up, weaving etc.
........looking cool..... having fun...... enjoying your ride......
but you can smoke a fat hoagie and smell like ass and have 6ft handle bars..... that drastically decrease the handling of your bike...

and its weird over here that that happens cos back home in england i see bike cops standing up all the time not just civi bikers

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What's next?? Seat belts?!
I had a Motorcycle cop stop me while he was parked on the side of the road. He says "I don't even want to guess how fast you were going, so slow down because motorcycles don't have seat belts." DUH!

Then he says "Nice Bike!" :lol:

·
Registered
538 Posts

In Hawaii, you CAN get a ticket for standing up while riding. I've heard it happen multiple times. However, all the times it happened was because the person was doing a wheelie, but cops were cool about it and let them off with this ticket instead of a reckless. This was years ago and the cops have gotten much stricter since...

You could use the excuse that there was debris on the road that you had to ride over, but the cop is usually behind you and will say he didn't see anything.

Also, i think i remember reading the law and it says that you must have both hands on the grips, one foot on each footpeg (no sitting sidesaddle), and be seated. So technically, you could get a ticket for taking your hand off your grip to perform a lane change hand signal per motorcycle safety class.

·
Registered
913 Posts
here there are prob only 4 or 5 laws that are motorcycle specific.....
helmets, the number of bikes that can share a lane side by side (two), at least one hand on the bars, passenger must be seated behind the rider, rider holding on to a moving vehicle and i think there is one about side-cars.......other than that, i don't think i've come across any others.......
even the cops might encourage you to pop a wheelie:lol:
bikes are soo uncommon here, they aren't even stolen:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts