SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the Highway patrol and asked about plastic on tail light.........

1.) One officer said not to alter the manufacturer fender.......(grump)

2.)......The next phone number I contacted,
the officer said a red tail light is what he wants to see.

I said, the factory fender has a clear/white plastic but emits red.
He had no problem.

........So I went ahead and blew $250 on a DRC tail kit with 4 blinkers/mount, and a low adj. supermoto mirror, and the little relay box for the fast blink....
....the DRC website had some extra wire kit resistor stuff, but Wheeling cycle did not have it,....so I did not get that wire stuff. (do I need it?)

We shall see what happens I guess?:Funny:

At least the WR250x DRC kit is in the "factory" mounting position, nearest to to the rear.

The Highway Patrol did not like my "eBay deep undertail plate kit" on my 08' GSXR 750.
the officer let me go, stating to get it back to the rear tail.

·
Registered
648 Posts
the DRC unit is not DOT approved, so technically it's not legal in the US. But, i would venture that if your state doesn't require inspections by people that know this, you'll probably be OK.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you think makes some plastic thing DOT approved? ........besides a nice helmet (Shoei, Arai,....high DOT rating)
or a really gay set of plastics hanging off your rear?

I would love to have the bike "inspected" by the Ohio patrol, and to have
that cert paper on-hand when "the reg.Joe cop" pulls up, but now I'm dreaming.

Hail The holy DOT mods :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

·
Registered
648 Posts
easy way to check if a light is DOT approved is to look closely at the lense - if it's approved it will have a series of raised letters and numbers, to include either "DOT" or "SAE"

·
Registered
426 Posts
Called the Highway patrol and asked about plastic on tail light.........

1.) One officer said not to alter the manufacturer fender.......(grump)

2.)......The next phone number I contacted,
the officer said a red tail light is what he wants to see.

I said, the factory fender has a clear/white plastic but emits red.
He had no problem.

........So I went ahead and blew $250 on a DRC tail kit with 4 blinkers/mount, and a low adj. supermoto mirror, and the little relay box for the fast blink....
....the DRC website had some extra wire kit resistor stuff, but Wheeling cycle did not have it,....so I did not get that wire stuff. (do I need it?)

We shall see what happens I guess?:Funny:

At least the WR250x DRC kit is in the "factory" mounting position, nearest to to the rear.

The Highway Patrol did not like my "eBay deep undertail plate kit" on my 08' GSXR 750.
the officer let me go, stating to get it back to the rear tail.
yea, in Texas, I have no blinkers at all, the smoked edge tail light kit, and my plate is completely behind my tire and sideways and I got it inspected just like that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What do you think makes some plastic thing DOT approved? ........besides a nice helmet (Shoei, Arai,....high DOT rating)
or a really gay set of plastics hanging off your rear?
What makes things DOT approved is the manufacturer paying to have them tested. That's about it. I'm sure the DRC kit would pass, but it just hasn't been tested.

And as far as the fast blink rate there are 2 ways to cure it. Either resistors inline (bandaid fix in my opinion)or the IC relay. Just installed an IC relay on my bike and it works great!

·
Registered
648 Posts
AllJump - I think you're probably right - a lot of aftermarket lights would probably pass if they were tested. I think the problem is that the testing / certifying process must be very costly, and companies just don't want to fork out the money to do it, which would result in the costs being passed on to the consumers and significantly raising the price of the lights. an example is the DOT certified LED turn signals i got from K&S - $100 a pair!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
does anyone know if a smoke lense will pass inspection, particularly in North Carolina?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
does anyone know if a smoke lense will pass inspection, particularly in North Carolina?
things like this are at the whim of the person inspecting it... so no one will be able to tell you for sure.

just make sure it works, and dont do anything to attract attention and you'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This stuff is all luck. If you wanted to be 100% legal you wouldn't be able to change anything. My suggestion to you is that you have a rear red reflector on your bike and a license plate light. The other things may be illegal but are less likely to be caught.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
This stuff is all luck. If you wanted to be 100% legal you wouldn't be able to change anything. My suggestion to you is that you have a rear red reflector on your bike and a license plate light. The other things may be illegal but are less likely to be caught.
EXACTLY, the more OEM looking... the more "possibly stock" it looks... the less trouble you'll get.

theres not much diff between a ABS molded plate holder and a piece of alum bent in a vice.... but when the officer looks closely.. one doesnt stand out as "modified" while the other one does....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Haven't had a single problem from the cops. They even have followed me and checked out my bike, but haven't given me any flack for it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
unless the place is really strick with inspections. I walked in paid 6 $ and walked out with a sticker. And I went there with slicks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts