SuperMoto Junkie banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new 630 this past week I did my first ride sunday. When I came home my wife n I went to a movie. I came home and there was a green puddle underneath the bike. I was shocked to see it. I cleaned up the floor and looked at the bike. On the right side at the bottom of the air filter box, there is green residue at the bottom. I also do not have any coolant in my reservoir.

I have also noticed that the stickers have faded very quickly from the sun, the grips have faded, there is no rubber gromet on the left side front fender, the cylinder head discolored a bit and to top it off the rear light cover(above the license plate fell off). I bought this thing because I was told that Husky's are bullet proof.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Bought a new 630 this past week I did my first ride sunday. When I came home my wife n I went to a movie. I came home and there was a green puddle underneath the bike. I was shocked to see it. I cleaned up the floor and looked at the bike. On the right side at the bottom of the air filter box, there is green residue at the bottom. I also do not have any coolant in my reservoir.

I have also noticed that the stickers have faded very quickly from the sun, the grips have faded, there is no rubber gromet on the left side front fender, the cylinder head discolored a bit and to top it off the rear light cover(above the license plate fell off). I bought this thing because I was told that Husky's are bullet proof.
That's odd. Does the coolant overflow line run somewhere though the airbox? Judging by the amount of other broken shit, maybe that line broke and is dumping overflow into your airbox?

I think they meant to say KTMs are bulletproof? :headscrat Just kidding man, hope you get your problems resolved. Being that it is a new bike, I would be going back to the dealer ASAP to see what can be done...

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts

you didn't specify wether the green puddle was watery or oily.

since it's a new bike and it's coming from the air filter area chances are it's excess filter oil dripping out of the airbox. not uncoming for factories to go a little nuts with the filter oil on newly assembled bikes, already saw a couple of new bikes where the filter was literaly soaked in the stuff.

the reservoir near your motor is a coolant recovery tank, meaning there doesn't have to be any coolant in there. only when your bike is running really hot there's the possibility the radiator will ditch some coolant into that tank. highly unlikely as your bike has a fan as well to keep the temp in check. a lot of guys just ditch that tank all together. if there was coolant in there before and now there isn't, chances are it might be leaking which could also explain the puddle you found on the floor, though I'm still putting my money on filter oil.

as for the other things, personally I wouldn't even classify those as problems :D
not the first time something fell off a bike because it wasn't fastened properly either at the factory or the dealer. no bike's bulletproof, at least not in the way you're assuming bulletproof to be.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The coolant leaked into the cylinder when the bike wasn't running and through the FI and out the airbox? I guess it could happen if the head gasket blew or head bolts lost torque? I would look in the oil sight glass, as some might get past the rings too. You would've probably smelled that musty coolant smell along the way. That's my way too complicated guess.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes the consistency was oily/thick. lets assume that it is excessive oil in the filter and its leaking out for what ever reason - not a big deal. however the bike still wont start, any correlation?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Well an over-oiled filter will cause it to run rich and make it difficult to start. Remove the filter, clean it, and re-oil it properly and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.