SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can i start to lose weight? obviously lights, gauges, mirrors and plastic can be tossed aside. but what about having the alternator rewound to pump out less current? removing electric fans? smaller gas tank? what about a streamlined wiring harness with just the essentials?

i haven't seen any track only sm 610s so i'm just guessing based off of what i've seen and what doesn't seem essential.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I would look to get a lighter platform alltogether if I were building a track only bike. The 610 is a great commuter/canyon carver, but I don't think you'll be able to get rid of enough weight/bulk to really have a track weapon. my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Craigs449 is right. But are going to be racing or just track riding for pleasure? If your just going to ride at the track for fun, I think the 610 will work just fine. Racing on the other hand, you need to be as light as possible, just to hang with a Jap moto.
Get rid of the battery first off. Then take the fan off, all unnecessary wiring for the street. The head light can go also and replace with a # plate. That should be a good start.
If your going to race, go out and find a SMR450R.

Gutzy

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im riding for fun. i already have a 610 and would like to make it as light as possible. im not sure i can remove the battery gutzy, the 610 is electric start only. i'll be able to remove at least 25 pounds of excess weight so, it's a start.

·
Registered
190 Posts
im riding for fun. i already have a 610 and would like to make it as light as possible. im not sure i can remove the battery gutzy, the 610 is electric start only. i'll be able to remove at least 25 pounds of excess weight so, it's a start.
I think he meant replacing it for a lighter battery :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Weight wise, depends what you want to spend really? Ti fixings, alloy parts to replace any steel. Ti footpegs. Lose the big pig exhaust and fit ti item. Tank, well just semi fill for the track. Battery's a good one as mentioned. I got a Moty, no probs. Lighter mag wheels, lighter race spec tyres etc etc. You can spend a shed load, sometimes - like Gutzy said - a different bike's better.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Look into the older single cam bikes, 570's etc. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the parts cross over to the newer 610's. and the Old 570's and others were DEFINITELY built, fast, beastly, race bikes. :arsenal That could help you I would imagine

Pretty much do what you and others mentioned..
Make sure to swap the rear to a 17x5 instead of the stock 4.25" You'll have better slick selection. Either lace a new rim to your stock hub, or buy a whole new wheel. Spoked, or Alum. like Marchesini or Carrozzerria.

Aftermarket exhaust will not only help performance, but lose some weight. Go Titanium if you have the $$$

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here's the thing, i got into two accidents this month, one that nearly murdered me. i own no cars and two motorcycles, which are my only form of transportation. i'm going to sell one and use the money to buy a truck and only ride the husky on the track. im not looking to spend a lot of money but more interested in finding simple/cheap ways of making the 610 more of a track weapon then a street pig.

after ten years and 100,000 miles im done riding on the street and might never buy another motorcycle again but i still need to get my jollies somehow.

·
Registered
849 Posts
here's the thing, i got into two accidents this month, one that nearly murdered me. i own no cars and two motorcycles, which are my only form of transportation. i'm going to sell one and use the money to buy a truck and only ride the husky on the track. im not looking to spend a lot of money but more interested in finding simple/cheap ways of making the 610 more of a track weapon then a street pig.

after ten years and 100,000 miles im done riding on the street and might never buy another motorcycle again but i still need to get my jollies somehow.
Dude, I got knocked off only the other week. Totally the other driver's fault, reversed into me without looking. Luckily... no serious injuries. I've had a couple of hospital trips over what's now(?) err 34yrs of riding - since 17. And we're a tiny island of 70million plus, a ton of illegals here with no ins/licence/command of English, cars buzzing around everywhere.

Guess what I'm trying to say is don't let it put you off if you can. Track time sounds like a blast anyway, wish we had the opportunity locally. Re the 610, think (bar spending big bucks), you've got most of what you can do. Probably your ultimate cheapest option is to change the rear/front sprocket. One tooth less front or 3/4 more rear will give you a lot more grunt low down. Other than that mate, recover and enjoy :thumbup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sounds grand, besides the driver not the bike is the limiting factor. i never understood why guy would have this innate desire to obtain more horsepower from a thing when they can't use the horsepower they already have. looking back if i was going to do it over again i'd get a yamaha wr250x super motard if the bike had to be street legal and make a honda cr250 if the bike would only be ridden on the track.

the 610 was supposed to be the best of the street and the track but the power is to abrupt on the street and the bike's a little heavy for the track.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Dumbass. I just made myself 51. I meant riding since 17, now 44, equals 27. Make that 27yrs of riding :rofl:

·
Registered
849 Posts
sounds grand, besides the driver not the bike is the limiting factor. i never understood why guy would have this innate desire to obtain more horsepower from a thing when they can't use the horsepower they already have. looking back if i was going to do it over again i'd get a yamaha wr250x super motard if the bike had to be street legal and make a honda cr250 if the bike would only be ridden on the track.

the 610 was supposed to be the best of the street and the track but the power is to abrupt on the street and the bike's a little heavy for the track.
Depends on your dollar but why not go px on the 2 bikes and get a cheap truck and a bike ready for the track? Like you say, anything 250 or over will rip and be a ton of fun!

And yeh, that's why I sold my ZX and got the Husky. My miles were getting less. Didn't need 140BHP and wanted some lower speed fun. My 510's as fast a bike as I'll want on these roads now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah moto66, it's about time i move onto a truck and a bike and no moto on the street. argh, maybe the 610 isn't the best bike for the track but it's what i got at the moment. it'll take all of my money to buy a truck so i'd have no extra cash to sell the bike and buy another bike. argh.

·
Registered
849 Posts
yeah moto66, it's about time i move onto a truck and a bike and no moto on the street. argh, maybe the 610 isn't the best bike for the track but it's what i got at the moment. it'll take all of my money to buy a truck so i'd have no extra cash to sell the bike and buy another bike. argh.
Well if you're only tracking then that'll give you the perfect combo. Track the 610, pull all the road gear off of it. Plus you got no MOT - road test cert, or road ins etc. Way to go. And you'll still beat past other bikes. The 610's no slouch.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sell the 610 and get a $1500 truck and a used 2006 TC250 with sumo wheels or whatever else the budget allows. Just because you have the 610 doesn't mean you should dump money into "Making it work for the track". Like most things that are done the opposite way you'll likely end up putting time and money into the 610 and then getting tired of it not working at the track like the other bikes and then dumping it for a real track bike. Just get the track bike, even a cheapo one, and have fun.:coffee:

important note: you don't need an expensive truck. I made that mistake several years ago when I sold my 3 year old Wrangler that was all built up for offroad for a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 just to move my dirtbikes around. Should have kept the jeep and got a cheap ass truck for the bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts