SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been wanting a SM bike for a while and that desire paired with the fact there is NO place around here to ride my dirt bike, I'm thinking of converting it to a SM bike.

I found the baja designs kit: https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=121036

I don't plan to race the thing, I just want the fun of a dirt bike I can ride to work on.

Obviously I'll need wheels and tires but don't know what or where to find the wheels. What else to I need?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one note: I'd want to easily and quickly set it back to stock for any dirt rides that come up. Am I asking too much?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Other than the Baja kit and a wheel/tire package you will also need a larger front brake rotor. Many companies make kits that include a relocation bracket for the caliper and larger rotor, if you arent planning on doing any racing this will be a good solution (easy to switch back and forth). You will also need to gear it up because of the increased speeds vs. a dirtbike (depending on the stock gearing on your bike you can probably get away will running a smaller rear sprocket so you dont have to change the counter sprocket every time). All of this will be easy to change back and forth from dirt to street, just pull off the wheels remove the caliper relocation bracket and bolt the dirt wheels back up.

You can get parts from www.motostrano.com they also have full conversion kits (multiple levels depending on what you want) that may be a good option to get everything in one place. This looks like it is right up your alley http://www.motostrano.com/suqukit.html it doesnt look like they list it for your bike but i bet if you called them they would be able to put something together for you (i live right buy their store and they can usually put a package together for anyone)

Hope that helps you get on the road.

·
Registered
319 Posts
haha, not dumb at all. you might try searching around the forum a little, this topic probably gets covered so much people stop posting. wheels and an oversized rotor and a caliper bracket would be a good start. if the brakes aren't up to your likeing, you'll probably need a more track oriented caliper later. axle sliders, hand guards, catch cans(if yur racin), sprocket, probably a little suspension tuning,and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few smaller things. and like previously posted, motostrano should have kits of varying levels that should have you all set up in no time! good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are there any guidelines for wheel sizes (diam./width)? I see a lot of the used wheels that suffer from "chain slap".

And, I just plan to ride this on the street, that is, I won't be racing it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm running a 5" rear on my 04 ktm sx with no chain slap. I had a little tire rub that was remedied by removing a little material from the bracing and weld on the inside of the swingarm on the brake side. Not sure if the swingarms are the same though, and i'm running michelin sumo slicks in 165 I think.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ok, for your wheels, brakes etc go for KTM Hardparts they are the the best deal you will get. Go to www.ktmtalk.com and you will be able to get a good discount with Munn racing, Cyclezone or one of the other KTM dealers on there. On my 03 525 race bike I am using a 5" rear but if you are just riding on the street you may be better off with a 4.25" as it is much easier to fit in without clearance issues. I bought a Trick dual sport kit to use on my exc and it came complete with everything you need for lighting and worked very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts