SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been into supermotos for a while now but I'm not sure if I should convert something over, like a crf450r or crf450x, or if I should just buy something like a drz400. Time is not an issue for I have about a year and a half before I can get my license. I have about $3200 at the moment to buy a bike, and more $$$ in the near future. What would be easier/cheaper to do. Also any recommendations on parts?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
So I've been into supermotos for a while now but I'm not sure if I should convert something over, like a crf450r or crf450x, or if I should just buy something like a drz400. Time is not an issue for I have about a year and a half before I can get my license. I have about $3200 at the moment to buy a bike, and more $$$ in the near future. What would be easier/cheaper to do. Also any recommendations on parts?
shop Craigslist for a used drz400sm. contrary to popular belief they're not make of gold (it's really yellow lead!) and bike up quite often for $3000 o or less.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I'd recommend converting one. You'll outgrow the drz and no matter how much $$$ you put into it it's still gonna be heavy and underpowered compared to a 450.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd say that your budget is probably gonna limit you to a DRZ. Don't know about prices in your area, but around me a decent 450 that's not beat to hell or 10 years old goes for 1 to 2 grand more than what you currently have to spend. Then your looking at the hassle of getting it street titled, unless it already has one, plus another $2k on the conversion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I say go for a conversion. I scored a 530 EXC for 4500$. Save some more money and keep an eye on the classified for a good deal, then you have even more time to save more cash for the conversion. Overall, I have less than 5k$ in mine, even with the SM wheels.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'd recommend converting one. You'll outgrow the drz and no matter how much $$$ you put into it it's still gonna be heavy and underpowered compared to a 450.
out grow a drz ? until you're able to slide elbow and jump dirty table tops (with street tires)

I don't think so. no.

do a track day on it.
then a gymkhana.
them a 3 day dualsport camping trip.

... then tell me is possible to out grow it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's input. I have heard that drzs are heavy and tend to be on the slow side. At the moment I'm looking for a crf450 in the $3500 to $4000 range, that I could convert. The only thing that concerns me about them is that I would think they would constantly need valves adjusted. Or I would be having to buy a top end every year.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. I have heard that drzs are heavy and tend to be on the slow side. At the moment I'm looking for a crf450 in the $3500 to $4000 range, that I could convert. The only thing that concerns me about them is that I would think they would constantly need valves adjusted. Or I would be having to buy a top end every year.
drz weighs around 320 lbs, has around 40 hp, and cruises at 70mpg.

if it's too slow, change your gearing... there plenty of fun to be had

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
out grow a drz ? until you're able to slide elbow and jump dirty table tops (with street tires)

I don't think so. no.

do a track day on it.
then a gymkhana.
them a 3 day dualsport camping trip.

... then tell me is possible to out grow it...
I'm no Max Biaggi, but I can definitely hold my own, but you're telling me that a DRZ is a better suited machine to do all of the riding that you listed then a 450?

Yes the DRZ comes from the showroom ready to go. However they are heavy and most people spend a fair amount of money trying to get more power. The 450s are lighter and have plenty of power right out of the box. That's all I'm saying.

With proper gearing the top end and valves won't be an issue. I have ridden a 450 daily for years without any need to adjust valves or do top end work. Just keep the RPM's at a decent level and gear the bike for the riding that you plan on doing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just bought a 2005 WR450 in good shape for $2200. I have 90 bucks in dot tires, then another 80-90 in switches. So it can be done economically. I have never ridden a DRZ, but this WR450 is a blast, as I am sure the 400 would be also. # of my buddies have Groms, and those things are little turds, but man they are a ton of fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Crash279 do you have a list of all the aftermarkets you used to convert your bike? I'd love to see what it looks like, I'm guessing that I'm probably going to need a smaller sprocket for longer gears right? I've also heard that getting an upgraded stator is common for all the electricals.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Hey Crash279 do you have a list of all the aftermarkets you used to convert your bike? I'd love to see what it looks like, I'm guessing that I'm probably going to need a smaller sprocket for longer gears right? I've also heard that getting an upgraded stator is common for all the electricals.
I can make you a list in a few...

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Here's the minimum that I would do:
-float the ground on the stator/full DC rectifier (less than $100 for both)
-JD Jetting Kit
-Oversize rotor (270mm for 21/18 wheels and 320mm for 17's)
-TRX450R master cylinder
-mirror
-headlight switch
-horn
-14/40 or 15/40 sprockets

For more power:
-YZ450 cams
-YZ450 exhaust

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the minimum that I would do:
-float the ground on the stator/full DC rectifier (less than $100 for both)
-JD Jetting Kit
-Oversize rotor (270mm for 21/18 wheels and 320mm for 17's)
-TRX450R master cylinder
-mirror
-headlight switch
-horn
-14/40 or 15/40 sprockets

For more power:
-YZ450 cams
-YZ450 exhaust
Thanks a lot man and I think I've found a bike I'm interested In. http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/4561096587.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a DRZ400SM and absolutely love it. I think id rather do a conversion than an out of the box so that id have a set of knobbies and a set of 17s so I can swap back and forth plus I always like building things.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'm no Max Biaggi, but I can definitely hold my own, but you're telling me that a DRZ is a better suited machine to do all of the riding that you listed then a 450?

Yes the DRZ comes from the showroom ready to go. However they are heavy and most people spend a fair amount of money trying to get more power. The 450s are lighter and have plenty of power right out of the box. That's all I'm saying.

With proper gearing the top end and valves won't be an issue. I have ridden a 450 daily for years without any need to adjust valves or do top end work. Just keep the RPM's at a decent level and gear the bike for the riding that you plan on doing.
didn't say anything about a 450

1 - 20 of 22 Posts