SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok i know i only have one post but please hear me out.

I have been really considering getting a used 2007 sxv 550 with 4600 miles. I saw it and loved it, gave it a test ride and it pulled up in 3rd gear with no help of the clutch. What a monster. But i thought it would be better if i went and did some last minute research before i would jump into buying it.
But after some research i have heard heard a lot of cons. So i was hoping maybe some owners could clear it up.

1. 50 miles a tank, sucks but i saw an over sized tank on aprilia.com. Whats the mileage gain?
2. Really bad starter problems.
3. Needs a rebuild every 6k.
4. A horrible maintenance schedule in general.
5. Cant go on the freeway without blowing it up or burning oil.

The owner did claim he had all the common problems of the 07's fixed by the local dealer in San Francisco.

The purpose of this bike would be a almost daily driver(on average 2 miles a day, no joke.), never ridden in the rain, will most likely never see the freeway.

Also i understand this bike is a "race bike" i knew that right away from the test drive, but i want that power, and i will definitely be going to the twisties and the local hills.

I'm fine with a little more maintenance, and would expect it from a bike like this. But is the bike worth it?

Thanks in advance for all the feedback, i really appreciate it

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$5000, and he had the "eliminating all problems" done at 1800 miles. it has 4600 now.
The bikes in immaculate condition and mechanically sound atm.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Any of the problems you have heard about these bikes having has been taken care of by Scuderia at 1800 miles. They split the motor case and resealed it with the correct sealant. Any wear parts they inspected and replaced as needed. The valves were also checked at that point and the stator bolts tightened. The motor starts up every time and runs flawlessly." - part of add from seller

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But do you're saying this is a good buy? Any comments on the 2007 problems. Or does the reseal take care of that?

·
Registered
146 Posts
But do you're saying this is a good buy? Any comments on the 2007 problems. Or does the reseal take care of that?
I have 2 07's w/ the proper seal. No problems unless you don't keep coolant in it, or the oil level right. Some people prefer the 07 motors over the latter ones as well. W/ the right exhaust and mapping, along w/ your throttle bodies balanced you shouldn't have a problem. There is new software that's currently getting released which can identify any problem you may have in the future. All the mapping included to boot. Yet another fine reason to buy an Aprilia xv.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats buddy , its all about what you think is a good price . That is a great looking bike . Now get out there and ride that bitch and post up some pics ...:thumbup:
Ya this bike is insane, the brakes, the looks, the handling, and best of all the power. Best sm I've ever ridden. By far

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
congrats! Welcome to the sickness..... now get your credit card out and order up some parts....lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's already got full silmoto exhaust, slipper clutch, updated mapping, and a few other parts so I'm good lol

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
looks great!! dont believe to many of the cons you hear, 99% arent true.

Like one major one. you CAN ride the highway with ZERO problems. Allen from xtreme powersports rode from maryland to california with no issues at all and has about 7000 miles on his right now. Just treat her nice, and take care of her and you shouldnt have any problems at all :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts