SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up im new to the site. here from san diego..

and im planning on purchasing a bike soon, ive ridden dirtbikes in the past but had never operated a bike on the streets..

anyways im considering the 250x but i am 6'3 180lbs. im sure the 250x could move me around surface streets fine and all but i would have to do some freeway commuting..

and im worried that the bike will get blown around like a mosquito on hte freeway if i could realy even keep up at all. i know there are other options of converting a larger bore bike but its nice that the 250 has a 6th gear and FI. Could this bike really keep me up to freeway speed without being blown off the freeways of san diego?

overall im looking for a bike to have some fun on, one that could keep up and one with very minimal maint. and good mpg.

would this be the right bike for me? or should i consider other options?

i havent ruled out other types of bikes either.. ha ultimatley id like to get the hypermotard.. i think that bike is beautiful but up front costs plus maint. sounds like an arm and leg.

id appreciate any info, and reccomendations!

thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
hey whats up im new to the site. here from san diego..

and im planning on purchasing a bike soon, ive ridden dirtbikes in the past but had never operated a bike on the streets..

anyways im considering the 250x but i am 6'3 180lbs. im sure the 250x could move me around surface streets fine and all but i would have to do some freeway commuting..

and im worried that the bike will get blown around like a mosquito on hte freeway if i could realy even keep up at all. i know there are other options of converting a larger bore bike but its nice that the 250 has a 6th gear and FI. Could this bike really keep me up to freeway speed without being blown off the freeways of san diego?

overall im looking for a bike to have some fun on, one that could keep up and one with very minimal maint. and good mpg.

would this be the right bike for me? or should i consider other options?

i havent ruled out other types of bikes either.. ha ultimatley id like to get the hypermotard.. i think that bike is beautiful but up front costs plus maint. sounds like an arm and leg.

id appreciate any info, and reccomendations!

thanks
Before I get into anything else. If you are a custom to dirtbikes, the hyper is going to feel very different. I thought the hyper would be a great fit for me, but after a 10 mile test ride. I said no way. I been riding for over 20 years. Before I bought the WR250X in March, the only other street bike that I have had was a Honda 900SS. Dirt has been CRF450R, RM250, RM125, CR125, KX500 and so forth. Dirt has been my ride for the last 19 years. At the time of my first road bike, I was not enough of an adult to be on the road, if you get my drift. So I stuck with the dirt. I am 5' 11", 180lb with gear. On the highway the bike is very comfortable as long as you don't get between two tractor trailers. Mileage is amazing (I average 75+mpg). I ride in 26 miles one way to work with it and then of course back home. I have roughly 1000 miles on it and it has been a very good little bike.
If you expect to break land speed records, get a different bike. If you want a good commuter that is an absolute blast to ride, buy the WR250X.
I am most likely buying a Ducati 696 this week. I can almost buy the 696 and the WR250X for the price of the Hyper. The hyper gets 35-40mpg with Termi's. The hyper is very appealing piece of art and could be a blast for someone, just not me.
Good luck with you decision,
Joe

·
Registered
239 Posts
You have just described the WR250X! I'm 6'1" and 185 and I've never had a problem with power be it around town or on the freeway. Don't expect to run away from traffic at 65+ and you'll be fine. As far as maintanance goes, I don't think there is a supermoto bike that requires less attention than this one. I also get between 65 an 70 mpg depending upon where and how I was riding, but overall it's very frugal.

Good luck with your purchase... :thumbup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I drive 20 miles highway each way for work, its pretty comfortable at 70-75 mph. i notice drag only when big winds hit me but im also 6 ft tall and 265lbs. the bike does get up and go when you twist the throttle. i have a bout 3000 miles on it and never regret the purchase

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am 5'11" and 185lbs. No prob on the freeway unless REALLY windy then you just gotta be heads up!
Super fun, low maint, great fuel economy, cheap purchase price...what else do you want?
Good luck with the purchase:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I'll agree with everyone else that the WR is a great commuter bike. The only wind problems I've had were with some nasty gusting crosswinds but I'm thinking it was made worse by my size, or lack of (5'9" 160lbs) than the bike. Also, being a new dirt to street convert myself, I'd suggest the WR as the handling is completely intuitive to someone with dirt experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts