SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, picked up an 06 drz with around 4k on the odometer a few weeks ago, I've never had a drz before, but I think something is definately not right. If it sits overnight, I have to use full choke to get her to fire. (i suppose it would with half, but not very easily) When I use full choke it fires right up, and idles back down in a few seconds, and I can turn the choke off and its fine. After the bike is warm, even if its just riding it down the street for 1/4 mile, it fires right up. Thinking could be some sort of valve problem? Not sure, I don't know much about small engines, this is my first bike. I'd appreciate the help guys, thanks!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Carburated motorcycle. That's what choke is for. As long as it runs perfect when warm, I'd say it's good

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not terribly worried about it, I just hear a lot of people talking about how their drz's fire right up no matter what the temp is. (I guess maybe they use choke too? i don't know, just thought i'd ask)

·
Registered
63 Posts
If mine sits in the garage, it takes half to full choke for5 seconds the it runs perfect. If it sits out in the sun for an hour before it try to start it after working in the garage, it starts right up.

Aluminum/carburetors can be mysterious.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm not terribly worried about it, I just hear a lot of people talking about how their drz's fire right up no matter what the temp is. (I guess maybe they use choke too? i don't know, just thought i'd ask)
They probably have re-jetted their carb. I almost never have to use the choke now but had the same problem as you when the bike was stock. Re-jet, 3x3 and full exhaust will solve your problem and transform your bike into a really fun machine.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
As stated above, a properly jetted carbed bike will need the choke after sitting and letting the engine get cool / cold. If it starts without the choke on a cold motor, it's too rich.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts