SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on how to do coasties? I know you take it back on the brake and then pull the clutch in but obviously there's a bit more to it than that or everyone would be doing it, do you have to ease off on the brake a lot at the same time? Also I imagine the bike would try falling to the side once the forwards power was taken away?
I'm riding a drz 400sm and want to scrape the rear fender but ive been trying it in gear on the brake and I've still got about 10 inches to go before it's going to touch down and was told that coasting it would be the easiest way to scrape the fender.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought I'd add that i've been trying this stood up with right foot on the brake and left foot on the subframe brace (hole cut in fender).

·
Registered
284 Posts
coasters are one of the hardest tricks to get down. that staement will be argued with by certain people. but any die hard stunters can tell you. they are no easy feat.... What you have to do is get on one, get enough speed, an tip it behind BP.... while pulling in the clutch, keep it back there staying on the rear brake, this slows down the wheelie drastically. you have to get really good one one wheel and NOT just begining. ive been stunting for over a year now and im no where near ready for coasters....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd start with sitdown wheelies, in staggered/standup/fib position it's easier to get the bars in the stomach if you get a bit scared and slam the brake to hard.

It's good if you can scrape on just throttle and brake before you try them so you know where the limit is and don't get too freaked out when the bike falls back.

Try Sitdown, 1st gear (maybe 2nd depending on gearing or if you simply think it feels better)
Bring it up to balance point and while focusing on your brake control (you have to make sure you have ur foot in a stable position on the brake and ready to use it) pull the clutch in (preferably with one finger, easy clutch levers help) and respond with hitting the rear brake as smoothly as you can, you'll gradually be able to let the bike back more and more for each try holding it with the brake. Keep you concentration on the brake, and the clutch do not throw any other variables into the mix like I did in the beginning, I tried doing a "rev-limiter" coaster before I could even coast properly and ended up letting the clutch out while coasting on the revlimiter and...Bam smashed myself to the ground...so don't get any funny ideas like that...they don't end well lol

Also when you feel you "lose" the coasting of the bike i.e. you brake too much and get the bike back to the balance point or back under the balance point it is very tempting to let the clutch out quickly and do an extra impulsive throttle blip to bring the bike back behind the balance point again....be Very careful with this when ur a beginner since it will most likely be very choppy...and you'll lose your concentration of using the brake and clutch at the same time...so if you get the bike back under the balance point "give up" instead, set it down and try again instead.

To avoid wobble/throws try to be smooth and check ur tyre-pressure if the bike feels wierd, slightly lower pressure should help.

Hope this was any help, be careful, coasters are easy to mess up...Stay safe!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Its very hard to do a coaster when you're already past BP and on the brake. You wanna be steady and smooth a hair before BP and then blip the throttle just enough to send you over BP, and pull the clutch in.

I also find it helps to think of trying to slow your coaster down to a stop, rather than trying to think of how far you can ride it. When my mindset is to try ride them far, I brake too much and over BP, thus ending the coaster pretty quickly. But when I think to myself that I wanna slow the coaster all the way down to a stop, they always end up going pretty dang far. Whoo!

Good luck. They are hard to master but oh so satisfying.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh yah, I think its WAYYY easier and safer to learn how to scrape the fender the standard way. You just need a bit of speed so you don't stall out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys guys, from what you've said it seems that I'd be better off learning to scrape it sat down in gear on the brake before trying coasters so that's what I'll do. I managed to find a clip of a s/moto being scraped on YouTube, don't really seem to see many people scraping s/motos on there it's mostly sportsbikes, always seems to help when i've seen someone else do something that I'm trying to do.
I'm determined to touch the fender down but 10 inches seems like such a long way off from touching down, I can ride mile plus wheelies and slow them down on the brake now but just can't get the hang of tipping it right back, I guess I need to get off the brake and tip it back then catch it really late on the brake rather than trying to gradually ease it back with the brake like i've been trying to do.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You don't wanna completely let off the brake and then try to catch it because it'll be kinda dangerous. When you do scrape, you'll get spooked and slam on the brakes way too hard and you could either stall out and mouse-trap over or lock up your rear tire and skid out. I've done the latter, and it sent me to the hospital!! OR, you'll let off the brakes and the back will drop a lot faster than you expect and you could end up looping over. (which isn't that bad haha)

I found its also much smoother if you stay on the gas a little bit and ride the brakes the whole way back. It makes the brakes less touchy. Like i said before, you're gonna need some speed so I usually chase a wheelie till almost the top of 2nd gear and then start pulling it back. by the time I scrape, i'm going pretty slow. Good luck! When you get comfortable with them, doing coasters will be simple!

Oh yah, when I was learning I would be able to slow it down really fast and high, but there was always the last like 3 inches I could never reach. One day, i just felt like I was in the zone and really comfortable so I just said, "fuck it.." and thought to myself that I'm either gonna scrape this shit or loop over hahaha! Well, let me tell you that it felt like i was well on my way to looping over, but then i heard the most satisfying sound I've ever heard, and hit the brakes and came down safely. All my friends were there to see it, and jokingly called it beginners luck. So i went back out and did it 3 more times in a row.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha ha I can imagine how it good it must feel to hear it scraping, when I first started being able to use the brake I loved hearing the revs dropping right down as the wheelie slowed!
What you say about needing to carry some speed makes sense, i guess I need to get up near the top of the revs and then try to slow it down as quickly as possible which will mean having to tip it right back to stop the front falling forwards. What I've been doing is getting it quite low in the revs and then trying to ease it back on the brake, I can see that that's not going to work now!
Unfortuanetely it's winter over here now so cold and wet dark evenings all the time which means I can't get so much practice in, probably gona have to re-visit this thread a lot over the next few months for more advice!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with solidjohny.
You should be all set now to start practicing scraping ;), gotta get used to how the bike feels past balance point... you'll probly still shit urself when you start trying coasters but atleast not as much lol :rofl:
edit: ah bloody weather, same over here =(, you can practice even if it's wet and a bit cold, my first scrape was on wet pavement (which freaked me out)...it takes a lot before you lose grip on the reartire during a wheelie....

One day, i just felt like I was in the zone and really comfortable so I just said, "fuck it.." and thought to myself that I'm either gonna scrape this shit or loop over hahaha! Well, let me tell you that it felt like i was well on my way to looping over, but then i heard the most satisfying sound I've ever heard, and hit the brakes and came down safely.
Haha exactly how I got my first scrape aswell, "fuck it" and hit the throttle :D
(plus my friend was filming which put some pressure on me :lol:)

·
Registered
538 Posts
it also really helps, for all stunts, to have someone video you. Then you can see how much further back you need to go. Like, what you thought was insanely high, wasn't even close to scraping yet. Its always a little disappointing, but very helpful.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
if your main goal is to scrape the fender just bring it back controlled and just bring it back and back and back till you scrape... coasters are a whole different level of skill than just scraping the fender

You wanna be steady and smooth a hair before BP and then blip the throttle just enough to send you over BP, and pull the clutch in.
This

it also really helps, for all stunts, to have someone video you. Then you can see how much further back you need to go. Like, what you thought was insanely high, wasn't even close to scraping yet. Its always a little disappointing, but very helpful.
this is hands down was the best thing i ever did... watching yourself right after you do it is an amazing learning tool... you think your about to loop while you're doing it, then you watch the vid and see you are not even close.. lol. really makes you react/see things differently

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the videoing is a good idea, I've had people film me in the past and found it to be a good help, saw how uncomfortable I looked when doing stand-ups because I wasn't quite straightening my legs out properly so from then on started consiously trying to get me legs out straight. When summer gets here again il get a mate to come out with the camera.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
if your that good at slowing down wheelies and holding bp i would recommend trying to float it at bp in 1st or 2nd gear and keep your foot on the brake and just pull in the clutch with barely a little pressure on the brake. i had a hard time with them on a 636 but on my crf150r coasters are a piece of cake but yet i still don't scrape my tail and i have a hard time trying to scrape it cuz like your saying you can coast on the brake with clutch in and still be nearly 10 inches away from touching, when i go back to try to scrape it feels like theres no tail and im gonna loop cuz its so much farther back than where i would pull in clutch just to coast. one of the most dangerous but funnest tricks out there, i only do mine in a sitdown which i think is way easier than off peg or even staggered

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bit more advice needed please.
I've been practicing again today (first proper practice since starting this thread) and still got around 10 inches to go. I've been trying it just on throttle and brake as it seemed to be what you guys recommended.
I'm not sure if the technique I'm using is right though, in fact I'm pretty sure it's wrong, what I seem to be doing is getting to a steady speed using the brake and then sort of increasing the brake pressure and giving extra throttle at the same time to tip it back and then closing the throttle a bit to bring the front back when I get scared cause I know the brake pressure is already there to save me. Is this wrong??
I think what I should be doing is keeping the throttle in a constant position the whole time and then letting off the brake to make the bike fall back and then re-applying when I get scared. Is that the right way to try?
I think I'm struggling to make myself do that as it seems to go against what I've taught myself to do the whole time I was learning to ride a steady wheelie which was to apply the brake when you feel it going backwards, whereas now I need to re-train my brain to let off the brake when I get to that position.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
you dont wanna let off the brake when your going back or you will flip for sure. cover the brake with light pressure and bring it past BP with the throttle to the point where it will either float on its own or is beyond BP then pull the clutch in and ride the brake. as long as you have pressure on the brake you should be ok if it starts going back just keep applying more pressure. start them in 1st gear so you can regulate the brake and clutch and wont get messed up if you do screw up. then start doing them in 2nd. anything above 2nd is fast and very dangerous

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply but I'm not trying to coast them yet, I'm just trying to scrape the tail with the bike in gear and clutch all the way out as people in the posts above said to try that first before coasting.
So my main question really is what to do with the throttle when going for the scrape, sorry if I was a bit unclear in my last post, I just want to scrape a normal wheelie first and then go for the coasters.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
if your going to slow or in to low of an rpm range when you dip it back to scrap then grab brakes to bring it down you could stall and mousetrap or in other words thrown over the bars. either way you should be scraping with the brake only cuz by time your back that far you wont need any throttle but a little may help you to not stall. i think its easier to coast than it is to scrap but thats just me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Since you have much better control of your wrist than you do your foot, you should ride the brake steady and use the throttle to rock it back. If you get spooked, just let off the throttle and you'll come back. If you tried it the other way around, you will definitely loop. You must watch yourself tho because it is a habit to increase braking pressure as your rock it back because, like you said, it is an instinct you've developed as you were learning to do regular wheelies.

Also keep in mind that you don't need very much brake pressure either...just enough to safely and quickly bring you back when you feel you've gone too far. You also should probably be attempting scrapes in 2nd gear with some speed. 1st gear would be too slow and you'll feel a lot of wobbles when you rock it back far. You need the speed because when you go to scrape, the bike will be slowing down rapidly. The less brake pressure you use will let you rock the bike back farther without scrubbing so much speed.

Its only when you're fully comfortable with scrapes, that you'll be able to starting playing with the throttle AND rear brake. And after you're comfortable with controlling both, you can start attempting coasters which obviously involves a third thing. You make progress one step at a time...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts