SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding this near impossible ( not talking an SMC, but the SupMo (r) ), i'll bring it to revs that would have kicked my old 900 over long before and it just slugs forward - is this an FI delivery restriction ?

edit: I've removed gear restrictors for 2nd and 3rd already.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had no luck clutching up my 690 Duke either... a good hearty whack on the throttle @ 5k sends the wheel up in 1st. Same thing in 2nd gets the wheel off the ground a couple inches at best.

Slipper clutch : Great for backin' it in, lame for wheelies? :headscrat

I'm prob'ly just doing it wrong...

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had no luck clutching up my 690 Duke either... a good hearty whack on the throttle @ 5k sends the wheel up in 1st. Same thing in 2nd gets the wheel off the ground a couple inches at best.

Slipper clutch : Great for backin' it in, lame for wheelies? :headscrat

I'm prob'ly just doing it wrong...
good to know this isn't just an SM(R) issue - I have a suspicion that its the FI & the TPS - TPS reads high, clutch is in - Drop clutch, ECU does some quick logic calculations : nerfs fuel delivery :(

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BONED.

Motorcyclist Online said:
Though the LC4 engine has been redesigned to make a claimed 63 horsepower, the parts around it are more noteworthy. To begin with, it's fuel-injected, which is a first for KTM and still fairly novel on a single. But what is truly groundbreaking is the Electronic Power Throttle (EPT) system. Not quite Fly By Wire, the twistgrip opens the throttle valve via a cable, and a servo motor can then close it to maximize torque or, should revs rise too quickly, control a wheelie or wheelspin. The system also holds the throttle valve open a tad when the twistgrip is shut to reduce engine braking. Add to that a slipper-style Adler Power Torque Clutch (APTC) like that employed on Ducati Monster models, and MotoGP technology is trickling down to the supermoto set.

shitty.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is your technique, not the bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLMa_ARoys

:thumbup:
lol ultimate burn!

Actually thanks for linking this, i was getting worried - i fix me being a gimp much easier then the FI / EPC :lol:

Thanks for the vid - i must have just been spoiled on the 900rr for so many years. :rant:

edit: mg15 - same here for the SMR, the bike performs more like a sportbike then a single thumper - my SMR is most happy between 5.5 and 7k rpm - bizzario!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah... let the

pics commence.

Never bothered to learn how to clutch it up on my sportbikes. The only bike I have ever tried to get up on the clutch was a GN125. And it did come up... so fast and high that I fell of the back and ended up walking behind the bike holding the bars. Beveled off the bottom of the rear brake light. Had a good time explaining it to my mother since it was her bike at the time :thumbup:

So thats my excuse for lame technique.. and I'm stickin' to it! ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
2nd gear, 4K rpm, 1 finger dip of the clutch and she is up as high as you want it. Or just tap off and snap it back on at the same revs with a little tug and she sits up and begs as good as any other motard.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
lol ultimate burn!

Actually thanks for linking this, i was getting worried - i fix me being a gimp much easier then the FI / EPC :lol:

Thanks for the vid - i must have just been spoiled on the 900rr for so many years. :rant:

edit: mg15 - same here for the SMR, the bike performs more like a sportbike then a single thumper - my SMR is most happy between 5.5 and 7k rpm - bizzario!

:lol: I wasn't rying to put you down, and thanks for taking it with a sense of humor. :thumbup:

I think wheelying a thumper is different for guys coming off of I-4's. Thumpers make their torque early and down low, so lot's of times you need to snap them up at much lower revs than you would think after being used to a 4 cylinder.

I had an LC 4 and last year I rode a 690 SM. Both wheelied like demons. I can do a decent wheelie, but I certainly don't spend all day practicing them, so if they wheelied for me, they will wheelie for you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
def. the beast is way dif - i can get it standing up nps w/ some liberal throttle in 1st gear, its just the 2nd ->4th ones i want to master on this beast. Practice makes perfect - thanks again !

·
Registered
376 Posts
2nd gear, 4K on the rev counter, dip the clutch with 1 finger with the throttle wide open for about 1/2 a second (even shorter), dump the clutch and bam.... she is up and begging. dont even need to tug on the bars. Also try the same technique and slip the clutch instead of dumping it, makes it even easier.

My 07SM is bone stock except for the wire mod.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts