SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!

Im having a problem and as the title states, its with the clutch.... and yes... I know, it was when i bought a duke.... lol but all jokes aside this is beginning to test my last bit of patience.

it all started with the slave cylinder being busted and then while i was waiting for the replacement one i wanted to inspect the clutch.... the bike has almost 40 thousand kms on it and i bought it about 11 months ago with 25 thousand so I felt it a safe thing to inspect the whole assembly and since i had drained the oil felt fine opening up the clutch case.... its now turned out to be Pandoras box...

I put followed the video on youtube and the threads on all the forums and couldnt find any detailed instructions in the owners manual of the order of the way it goes back together. I dont have the special assembly bolts but dont think that they are that key in its assembly. ANYHOW to get to the point i get the bike all put back together and buttoned up and when i roll it in gear and with the clutch lever pulled all the way in I get this clicking that happens down in the clutch case.... It doesnt do this in neutral and i even started the bike and it ran fine in neutral. It only seems to do this when in gear and with engine off (obviously).

Im to scarred to try and put in in gear while it makes this tapping sound and thought I would post up on here and see if I could find some help and someone whos maybe encountered this issue could give me some guidance....

Thanks for the help and im off to work and it looks Im taking the bus today.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
shoot some video close to the engine and get audio of clicking noise -

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Are you sure you aren't hearing the chain?

·
Registered
487 Posts
OK... so I have a 640 LC4 and I also have a repair manual for my bike. The owners manual is useless for this kind of detail. But rattling in the case is a bad sign. Open her up again. No need to drain the oil. Just lie her down on her side and open the case. Take the clutch apart. If you need to hold it in place for tight nuts and bolts I use a penny (brass) wedged in between the cogs so that the engine cannot spin. It's my bike so I can do this but a mechanic would tell you it's bad practice.

Once you've got it all apart, right down so that you can see the main bearing. This should be the order things go back together.

1. Inner ring and needle bearing on shaft
2. Outer clutch hub (has the large 80 or so tooth cog on it)
3. Stop disc - looks like about the size of a dollar and is a large washer.
4. Inner clutch hub (holds your clutch plates)
5. Stop disc ( washer that you bend to lock in place)
6. Securing nut that hold it all together.
7. O ring on first - Then discs and plates - cork, plate, cork, plate, last one fitted must be cork - sharp edges of steel plates face down
8. Push rod, Pressure cap and Springs. Look for a mark on the pressure cap that coincides with a mark on the clutch hub. Almost like a pin and a hole - they don't fit together but they're on there and I think they help balance stuff.
9. Test the pull of the lever and that your clutch moves freely
10. Cover on - test again

Done

I hope this helps. Your clutch can't be all that different from mine. All my bikes clutches are very similar be they, ktm, husky, kawasaki, whatever.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I could be mistaken but I think the 690 engine comes with a slipper clutch. Not sure how much different parts wise it would be from a standard clutch. There was a thread on here somewhere with free links to the factory service manuals for the 690 engine and chassis.
Also, google search ktm 690 clutch diagram shows pretty detailed pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure you aren't hearing the chain?
positive its not chain... i was hopping it was the chain to tell you the truth.... im going to take pics of the clutch all ready and the clutch cover ready to be buttoned back up maybe you can see something ive done wrong or doesnt look right...

cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK... so I have a 640 LC4 and I also have a repair manual for my bike. The owners manual is useless for this kind of detail. But rattling in the case is a bad sign. Open her up again. No need to drain the oil. Just lie her down on her side and open the case. Take the clutch apart. If you need to hold it in place for tight nuts and bolts I use a penny (brass) wedged in between the cogs so that the engine cannot spin. It's my bike so I can do this but a mechanic would tell you it's bad practice.

Once you've got it all apart, right down so that you can see the main bearing. This should be the order things go back together.

1. Inner ring and needle bearing on shaft
2. Outer clutch hub (has the large 80 or so tooth cog on it)
3. Stop disc - looks like about the size of a dollar and is a large washer.
4. Inner clutch hub (holds your clutch plates)
5. Stop disc ( washer that you bend to lock in place)
6. Securing nut that hold it all together.
7. O ring on first - Then discs and plates - cork, plate, cork, plate, last one fitted must be cork - sharp edges of steel plates face down
8. Push rod, Pressure cap and Springs. Look for a mark on the pressure cap that coincides with a mark on the clutch hub. Almost like a pin and a hole - they don't fit together but they're on there and I think they help balance stuff.
9. Test the pull of the lever and that your clutch moves freely
10. Cover on - test again

Done

I hope this helps. Your clutch can't be all that different from mine. All my bikes clutches are very similar be they, ktm, husky, kawasaki, whatever.
thanks ive got it drained and im about to pull the case off and start from scratch...

thanks for the write up and the time you took to help me is something I respect... I really appreciate it...
hopefully we can fix this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could be mistaken but I think the 690 engine comes with a slipper clutch. Not sure how much different parts wise it would be from a standard clutch. There was a thread on here somewhere with free links to the factory service manuals for the 690 engine and chassis.
Also, google search ktm 690 clutch diagram shows pretty detailed pics.
Bin der Done dat...lol

ive looked into the spare parts catalog which shows all of the parts and its very vague and THE SERVICE MANUAL IS COMEDY PROBABLY WRITTEN BY THE LATE GEORGE CARLIN

if only there was a song that would explain it all.... u know, like" the hip bones connected to the.....etc":Funny:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts