SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new guy here..

I picked up my 610 on Monday and have been on it every day since. Awesome bike..I hate parking it!

Anyway one thing I have been noticing that concerns me a bit is when I am in first gear, leaving from a stop, I'll slip the clutch a little like any other bike I've ridden. But as I am releasing the lever it will just suddenly grab, no matter how slowly I am letting it out.

Everything feels smooth, I don't feel anything catching and don't see anything unusual on either end of the cable. Holds strong otherwise, I've wrung it out numerous times and have experienced zero slippage; this only happens in 1st from a stop (then again haven't tried 2nd from a stop..).

Bike has only 2000 miles..

Any ideas?? Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and the oil is 10-60 of some sort; guy showed me a bottle but I don't remember the brand. Bottle was blue, pretty sure it was synthetic, and for $14/qt I certainly hope it is..

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
give it some more revs as your going from a stop, sounds like your borderlining stalling it if it grabs hard enough for you to notice... give that a try.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that's the case, the idle is at 2000 RPM right now (adjusting that down is on my list of things to do) and I'm still revving it some from a stop creeping around in traffic. Smooth take-off, then a lurch forward like I just dumped the clutch. On second thought, could the high idle be a culprit?

I vaguely recall this happening on the test ride but I wrote it off as having an entirely different feel from my KLR like everything else on the bike, however it was really getting on my nerves yesterday as I just about lurched into the back of the car in front of me..

·
Registered
353 Posts
My 07 has 5600 miles on it and it still has a little grab when leaving a light. I wouldn't call it a lurch, but you can sure feel the plates hook up. Still running the 10/40 Spectro they put in it from the dealer. At the 6000 service I plan to take the advice of a wise old
Husqvarna guru, and try Spectro 4-Offroad 20w50 synthetic blend. There are additives (zinc) for one, that will improve engine life, cushion those boney shifts. Who's to say, a little cushion/viscosity wouldn't help that grab?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Set the idle to 1300-1500 rpms and give Mobil 1 15W-50 (auto) a try.

My 610 doesn't grab or lurch at all when launching in 1st gear, and it shifts butter smooth too.

I have a Barnett clutch cable as well, the stock clutch cable felt strange and constantly needed adjustment and the stories about them breaking had me nervous, so I replaced it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts