SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, it could have been a disaster! I am riding home from my office (2008 KTM 690 SMC) and I pull a wheelie from a light, click to 2nd, click to 3rd and then my left leg catches fire???? Well that is what it felt like, I put the power wheelie down and look at my left leg to see a spray of boiling oil dousing my leg, thank GOD I was going straight as I look in the rearview to see a billow of smoke. Turn into a parking lot and discover that the left side oil filter cap has the O-ring bulging out and the bolt seems loose. Now I know these bikes vibrate but after I got the bike towed home I realize that the bolt is stripped, but here is the thing, I am super careful to never over tighten bolts, and I use lock-tight (spelling?). I will be getting a couple new bolts to see if it's just the bolt or the engine case. Anyone out there have anything similar happen? -Slideways151-

·
Registered
626 Posts
Damn.. glad your alright... sounds pretty weird for the bold to just give like that especially with the LT on the bolt.. never had anything like that on my '09

when was your last oil change? did you let anyone at your bike lately (like a buddy) that might not be as particular as yourself?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
orangetard had that seal blow out on him after the first leg of a benefit ride we were doing. Rallied the troops and got a few tools to reseat it and went on only for him to blow a tube during the last leg. We missed the raffle :( ... He just loosened the cover, re-sat :anim_peep: the seal and it hasn't been trouble since. I hate hearing stripped bolt on engines. Worse than finger nials on a chalk board. :headshake

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am almost 100% that it was the bolt "letting go" in there. I went to a hardware store and put a steel bolt in there and it is as tight as new. That is really weird as I was thinking it was the case. I changed the oil 300 miles ago and no one but me goes near the bike (except my 2 yr old and she is innocent : ) I will definately be looking at that....damn, that is going to F with my head when I am twisting the throttle for a while. Guess I have to re work the rear tire since it got a real nice oil bath!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts