SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I am looking into buying a supermoto, but I have the same problem with alot of people and that is im unsure on what to go for. Ive seen alot of threads with people asking the same question except everyone ive come across is asking about them as a daily commuter. I however get a car from work, so i will not be using it everyday, maybe after work to go to the gym etc, but mostly just a weekend thing and do a bit of riding with friends so i will not be racking up hundreds of km/miles each week. I have a dirt bike, 09 yzf which i am selling to buy a supermoto, so i am use to the dirt bike feel. Im leaning towards an exc 450, 525 because from what i undertsand, more power. Plus look better than the drz in my opinion, but the drz400sm has less maintenance than the ktm and may handle better on the road from which ive heard but lacks grunt which is also what im after. Where should i lean towards? im 6 foot, 215 pounds. I live in New Zealand so the pounds thing confuses me :lol: Also, how often do i do oil changes on the two? And how often/ difficult is it to do the valve clearance etc. Again, i will not be daily commuting with this, just a weekend warrior so will most likely be doing less than 60 miles a week. I want a bike that will get the front wheel up, i plan on learningwheelies and doing them non stop haha. Top speed is a good thing, but not too worried on that, as long as it accelerates somewhat quickly. Thank you, hate to be a hassle and a noob on this i have just done alot of looking and never really found a proper answer. Also, parts for each of them, which is cheaper? Or are they the same? If someone can give an in depth answer that would be perfect. Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello all
I am looking into buying a supermoto, but I have the same problem with alot of people and that is im unsure on what to go for. Ive seen alot of threads with people asking the same question except everyone ive come across is asking about them as a daily commuter. I however get a car from work, so i will not be using it everyday, maybe after work to go to the gym etc, but mostly just a weekend thing and do a bit of riding with friends so i will not be racking up hundreds of km/miles each week. I have a dirt bike, 09 yzf which i am selling to buy a supermoto, so i am use to the dirt bike feel. Im leaning towards an exc 450, 525 because from what i undertsand, more power. Plus look better than the drz in my opinion, but the drz400sm has less maintenance than the ktm and may handle better on the road from which ive heard but lacks grunt which is also what im after. Where should i lean towards? im 6 foot, 215 pounds. I live in New Zealand so the pounds thing confuses me :lol: Also, how often do i do oil changes on the two? And how often/ difficult is it to do the valve clearance etc. Again, i will not be daily commuting with this, just a weekend warrior so will most likely be doing less than 60 miles a week. I want a bike that will get the front wheel up, i plan on learningwheelies and doing them non stop haha. Top speed is a good thing, but not too worried on that, as long as it accelerates somewhat quickly. Thank you, hate to be a hassle and a noob on this i have just done alot of looking and never really found a proper answer. Also, parts for each of them, which is cheaper? Or are they the same? If someone can give an in depth answer that would be perfect. Thanks Guys!!
Why not convert the YZF as a starting point? Cost all of $200 or so for parts. That is, if it's an option in NZ to convert and register an off-road bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not convert the YZF as a starting point? Cost all of $200 or so for parts. That is, if it's an option in NZ to convert and register an off-road bike.
I have done some research and that was an option but i would like more grunt, i have grown out of my 250 especially if i will be using it for the road but thank for for the option

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have done some research and that was an option but i would like more grunt, i have grown out of my 250 especially if i will be using it for the road but thank for for the option
Oh it's a 250, yeah I can understand that. The 450s have better ooomph for road use. Just got a WR450 myself.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If you've got the cash, you could have a look at the KTM EXC-F / Husqvarna FE models as they come factory street legal. Just add wheels/tires and a large front brake for supermoto fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you've got the cash, you could have a look at the KTM EXC-F / Husqvarna FE models as they come factory street legal. Just add wheels/tires and a large front brake for supermoto fun.
Yup so thats exactly what i was leaning towards, exc-f 450/530. 450 could be perfect for me. Not too much grunt so i flip the fecking thing haha. And the husqvarna, i like the bikes and the look of them but maybe parts arent as accessible as the ktm in New Zealand?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yup so thats exactly what i was leaning towards, exc-f 450/530. 450 could be perfect for me. Not too much grunt so i flip the fecking thing haha. And the husqvarna, i like the bikes and the look of them but maybe parts arent as accessible as the ktm in New Zealand?
They are KTMs...Pretty much. There are a few differences (suspension being a big one), but yeah, pretty much the same machine.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Oh right! In your opinion what one do you prefer and why?
I would go for the 500 EXC-F or the FE 501, but that's me.

I got close to buying a 500 EXC a couple years ago. I ended up buying a 690 SMC instead and then selling both of my bikes to buy my current FZ, but that's a different story. Next bike will be another supermoto. I miss it !!!

If you want to ride the highway or just more street riding in general, I'd go with the 500 over the 450/350/250 options. It just has more grunt.

FYI, the 525 and/or 530 are not the same engine as the newer 500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would go for the 500 EXC-F or the FE 501, but that's me.

I got close to buying a 500 EXC a couple years ago. I ended up buying a 690 SMC instead and then selling both of my bikes to buy my current FZ, but that's a different story. Next bike will be another supermoto. I miss it !!!

If you want to ride the highway or just more street riding in general, I'd go with the 500 over the 450/350/250 options. It just has more grunt.

FYI, the 525 and/or 530 are not the same engine as the newer 500.
So lets say i feel like opening up the throttle, whats the likely hood of it flipping me? :lol:So what about the 525/530 engines? Are they close to being as good as the 500? Ive just seen videos of people on 530's and all they do is open it up and it lifts them up! Which is good when you know how to ride a supermoto like a pro haha. When did they change to the 500's?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello all
If you haven't ridden a 450 off road bike then do that first.
Ps. Learn to wheelie with the 250 before you sell it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a look at the Husqvarna 701 ... much more grunt than you can handle and as reliable as the KTM LC4 ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts