SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a hooligan and riding through an empty park I chipped and dented the rear hoop on my DRZ400SM. Either i didn't have enough air pressure or i was going too fast or a mixture of both. Anyways is this fixable or should i just get a new hoop and lace it to my hub?

·
Registered
108 Posts
So the answers you got on thumpertalk didn't suffice?

Take the wheel off, dismount the tire and take the wheel to a reputable wheel repair shop. They should be able to weld it up and repair the dent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Take the wheel off, dismount the tire and take the wheel to a reputable wheel repair shop. They should be able to weld it up and repair the dent.
No it didn't because I got a mixture of yays and nays so I thought id get some more answers. Would it have to be any rim repair shop or would it have to be a motorcycle repair shop?

Edit: I called some shops locally. Apparently most wont fix it because its a liability issue with insurance. Other shop said only dent is fixable. Chipped is not.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I would just take a rubber mallet or hammer and chunk of wood and whack that side straight. If its not loosing air and you can't feel a wobble, no big deal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would just take a rubber mallet or hammer and chunk of wood and whack that side straight. If its not loosing air and you can't feel a wobble, no big deal.
It happened about 2 weeks ago roughly. I ride my bike everyday and I haven't noticed any wobbles and It dosent seem to be loosing any air. Since them I've done freeway miles, canyon twisties, and small jumps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's how I would fix mine. Might also use a black permanent sharpie to match the rim color.lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
Several of the larger rim manufacturers offer repair services for just such occasions. Sun rims in Cali, or Buchannan's is a couple that pops up for me, but i don't have contact info for you at the moment. Here is my thinking.... Chicks dig scars... leave it alone... it lends credo to... :thumbup:

"man, i was cutt'n it across this field and S&%# if the back wheel didn't just try to jump up my AZZ. took me out smooth too. i get may poop in a pile and can't find what did it, but shit, would you look at my rim!" :bowdown:

Unless your one of those guys that have to have a perfect looking bike, even if it is a Stupidzuki.... :D

And as Always....

·
Registered
914 Posts
If I was going to leave the chip ( and if it was mine I would ) Next time I had the tire off I'd put it in the press to push the dent back in and sand the chip area smooth to help keep it from cracking. Then again I have a tig and I might weld it up but it's not really worth it as it's just cosmetic and welding will fuck with the temper.

·
Registered
544 Posts
What brand wheel was it? Everyone is telling me to stay away from Warp9 but my old excels did the same thing on a gnarly washboard..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it holds air I'd just run it. Sharpie the silver part to hide it and keep having fun. If not get a new hoop, lace it up.
I think thats what im going to have to do. Color it in and forget it.

Several of the larger rim manufacturers offer repair services for just such occasions. Sun rims in Cali, or Buchannan's is a couple that pops up for me, but i don't have contact info for you at the moment. Here is my thinking.... Chicks dig scars... leave it alone... it lends credo to...

"man, i was cutt'n it across this field and S&%# if the back wheel didn't just try to jump up my AZZ. took me out smooth too. i get may poop in a pile and can't find what did it, but shit, would you look at my rim!" :bowdown:

Unless your one of those guys that have to have a perfect looking bike, even if it is a Stupidzuki.... :D

And as Always....
Thanks ill give them a call. A new hoop is about $250. If its near that price its not worth it. Im most likely going to leave it alone. Adds character right?
What brand wheel was it? Everyone is telling me to stay away from Warp9 but my old excels did the same thing on a gnarly washboard..
Its the stock drz400sm wheels. So excel hoops with Suzuki hubs and spokes. I heard warp9 is awesome. A washboard?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yea it is the unpaved section of HWY 90 in NC..after torrential rains the roads develop washboards with very jagged and large rocks..it's more like a technical set of whoops until the grader makes a pass over the roads...school buses carry kids over it...rural NC-my place to be!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Run it. Install and remove tires on the other side of the rim.
I'm not following.

Yea it is the unpaved section of HWY 90 in NC..after torrential rains the roads develop washboards with very jagged and large rocks..it's more like a technical set of whoops until the grader makes a pass over the roads...school buses carry kids over it...rural NC-my place to be!!
Dang!! Sucks!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm not following.

You don't change your own tires, do you?

Don't worry about that little knick. My DRZ rims are a heck of a lot worse than that from all the tire changes and landings, and as long as the rim's still straight, there's nothing sticking out or sharp from an impact, and its holding air, keep going. Worst case is there is some sharp part that cuts your tire's sidewall, if there's nothing there that will give you tire failure or have a flat, no worries. Excel rims are the strongest, in my experience.

Supermotos are supposed to be dirty and banged up because supermoto riders actually ride their bikes, not roll from coffee shop to coffeeshop polishing their bikes in between.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't change your own tires, do you?

Don't worry about that little knick. My DRZ rims are a heck of a lot worse than that from all the tire changes and landings, and as long as the rim's still straight, there's nothing sticking out or sharp from an impact, and its holding air, keep going. Worst case is there is some sharp part that cuts your tire's sidewall, if there's nothing there that will give you tire failure or have a flat, no worries. Excel rims are the strongest, in my experience.

Supermotos are supposed to be dirty and banged up because supermoto riders actually ride their bikes, not roll from coffee shop to coffeeshop polishing their bikes in between.
Nope! I borderline abuse my belongings. This is why I cant have nice things... haha:bannana:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Install and remove tires on the other side of the rim.
*put the side with the gouge down and peel the tire off on the good side. Install it that way also.

Or let the shop know that's what you want done to keep the bead from getting damaged.

Savvy?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why does it matter that he asked the same question on Thumpertalk? Sure, a lot of people go on the same boards, but it couldn't hurt to get an extra opinion from someone that might only hang out on that one board. This was a big thing when I was on the Mercedes boards because there are two big ones. Most of us posted on both, but there were some knowledgeable people that would only post on one or the other.

As long as it's holding air and isn't all wobbly I'd run it. No point in dropping money on something that turns out to be a cosmetic issue.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'd clean up the sharp edges, hit it with a hammer until it's straight and then a little touch up paint.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Putting that sharpie to work. As good as new!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts