SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen this saying around quite a bit.

Can anyone show or tell me what this refers to??

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
it is the part of the tires that have not touched pavement yet. for a great example look at most rockets. i have 1/16 of an inch on my rear because i am dragging pegs before i can get there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Reminds me of a nice CBR1000RR with a rear tire nearly to the cords in the middle 2" and the rest being new or nearly new rubber... It's sad to see a bike of that caliber ridden like that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
80% of the sport bike community has chicken strips. Most are posers and the other 20% thinks there fast on a bike, until they go to the track where the fast guys are.:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
On my DRZ I have no strips left on the back tire (150 BT-16) but still a good 1/2 or so of shame on the front 120/70 Pilot Power :damn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,329 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,384 Posts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Sportbike riders hang off to reduce lean angle, a good sportbike rider will have more chicken strips than a bad rider that doesn't hang off.
Supermoto riders do the opposite of hanging off and don't have wide tires, that's why most of us don't have chicken strips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Sportbike riders hang off to reduce lean angle, a good sportbike rider will have more chicken strips than a bad rider that doesn't hang off.
Supermoto riders do the opposite of hanging off and don't have wide tires, that's why most of us don't have chicken strips.
A slower sportbike rider will have more. Let me guess.....you have a sportbike with big ole chicken strips on it in the garage.

Here's a hint...if you're hanging off a sportbike enough that you're not using the whole tire, you don't need to be hanging off so much, if at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
A slower sportbike rider will have more. Let me guess.....you have a sportbike with big ole chicken strips on it in the garage.

Here's a hint...if you're hanging off a sportbike enough that you're not using the whole tire, you don't need to be hanging off so much, if at all.
eh. that "you don't need to be hanging off so much, if at all" is true - but the other solution the actual reason we hang off - TO ADD MORE THROTTLE. :D so less lean (more hanging off) allows you to actually apply more throttle, and more speed.

i'd rather hang off a bit more, carry more corner speed, and be on a bigger contact patch than worry about increased lean, smaller contact patch, and less room for error. each turn is different... even the same turn on a track can be different depending on what the situation is. the reason we hang off the bike IS to decrease lean b/c you can only go so fast at full lean. less lean = more speed = lower lap times.

street guys tires is really where the chicken strips concept came from. b/c MOST track riders have nothing - or nearly nothing - left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Yeah, track guys generally don't have anything. You can push a bike FAR harder on a track safely than you can on the street. I just think it's funny when I go to some place like Deals Gap and there's some sportbike dude hangin' off his bike like a retarded monkey but he's still parking it in every corner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
I never had strips on my old Huskies (510 and 610) as it was so easy to get rid of them. My ex CBR 600RR, R6 and my current ZX-10R all had/have them. I find it hard to get the courage to go around corners that fast on the street, especially since the roads here in Finland aren't really as clean and nice as some roads I have seen on this forum. I wish I could get more track time but we're kinda short on tracks too.. I miss my Huskies but my current riding favors the sportbikes. :rant:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I live in Belgium where roads are dirty and bumpy.
I could hang off less and lean more but it wouldn't make me faster and it's not safe on our roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,345 Posts
Sportbike riders hang off to reduce lean angle, a good sportbike rider will have more chicken strips than a bad rider that doesn't hang off.
Supermoto riders do the opposite of hanging off and don't have wide tires, that's why most of us don't have chicken strips.
Can anyone tell me what race organization this is? I wanna join it:D
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top