SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just wanted to let you know that we have organized a Supermoto Track Day at Norway, IL for Sunday Oct 1st.

Here are the basics:

When: Sunday, Oct 1 12-5pm (I'm working on extending longer)

Where: Concept Haulers Motor Speedway @ Norway, IL

How Much: $35

Map & Directions: www.concepthaulersmotorspeedway.com

Who's invited: motards, mini motards, mini roadrace

(the more the merrier, the owners are looking at adding a bike program full time for next year, if we get a good turn out that will help)

Dirt section: No

(again owners are willing to do it for next year if we can show that there is a market in this area for this type of deal)

Go karts: Yes

(They had already scheduled a kart practice, so we will have to share track time with the karts. However, this is the day after their last race of the season, so I am betting there won't be a big turnout)

For more details, feel free to PM me.
Thanks
Colin Horn

·
Registered
421 Posts
Count me in! I'll be bringing 2 bikes Yamaha YZ250F and my new ride Suzuki DRZ 400SM...Yamaha 4 sale make offer wife says gotta go..See ya there weather perm. AL E you going?:thumbup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does anyone have an arial picture of the track? Thinking about making the drive but it is close to 5 hours and we do not want to get there and be dissapointed. Is it similar to circleville? new castle? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all,

The website I linked in the original posting should take you to the track's main page, unfortunately there is not really that much information up there. I don't know of any aerial photos of the track at this time. The previous owners had one on their website, but the new guys don't have one up yet.

I have never been to New Castle, though I did drive by it once. I would say this place is pretty close in layout. The track is definetely older that NC, so the pavement may not be as nice. There is a fairly long front straight, some nice twisty sections, and a fast sweeping carousel corner.

The 3 local tracks I've done most of my riding on are Springfield, IL, Shawano, WI, and Road America. I would put it closest to RA of those three. Not as technical and twisty as Shawano, but definetely wider and more challenging that Springfield.

Here is a link to some pictures that some guys from Iowa took when they had a track day out there back in July. Many of them will be coming back out again this time.

http://www.alsprojects.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=56&catid=9

I hope this helps you all to decide to come out, if not, you know what they say, "A bad day of riding always beats a good day of work!" (though I doubt anyone would actually have a bad day.)

Regards
Colin

BTW, we have managed to extend the time a little. The pits will open at 10 AM, and the track will go live at 11 AM

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, no, we will not be able to have demo bikes set up there. We had hoped that the local KTM rep (the same one that works with the MIsupermoto guys) would be able to, but he was not able to pull something together at this time.

We will have one dealer there with product displays from KTM and Husaberg, but unfortunately, no demos.

We also have Top 10 AMA pro riders Robert Loire and Mike Bergman (4th & 9th in Unlimited respectively last year) committed to coming out. They have both said that they will be more than willing to give some pointers and help with bike setup and riding technique.

Colin

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think we may be in!!!!! Can you recommend a nice safe hotel that we can stay at near the track. I am worried about the bikes and have heard many horror stories of people comming out in the morning to no bikes. We have a nice chain to lock them up but that can easily be cut if the thieves are persistent. If the track is close to newcastle it will be a blast. Hope to see everyone there!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand the concern, it doesn't matter how good you lock it, if someone wants it, they will find a way to get your stuff. I live about an hour away, and I have only been there a few times, so I don't know the area too well. Ottawa is the closest big town (not quite a city), and is right on I80, so you might find something there.

You might also try calling the track (P: 815 / 496.9196) and asking for some suggestions. Ask for Les, he is the owner, he would be glad to hear the enthusiasm of people coming in from out of town for this event.

Colin

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Either one will get you pretty close. The main thing is to get yourself to IL Rt 71. The track is visible from 71 and just about a mile or 2 south or IL Rt 52. The East 2603 Rd is just a small side road.

·
Registered
35 Posts
skidooboy said:
website address is not the same as the one you are posting above. website says 3609 e 2603 rd sheridan, il. 60551
Really?!? Yeah I found it on another website which had a track map.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The track has many different configurations possible. The one that is usually run is about 9/10 of a mile. It is plenty fast and there is a good mix of tight corners as well as a few faster ones. Each corner is slightly different as well. Some increasing radius and some are decreasing, a few are banked and some are flat. If it had a dirt section, this track would be perfect.

Don't let the age or appearance of the surface fool you, there is a ton of grip, and for the most part, the surface is pretty smooth. There are few places where the karts have torn up the surface, and it has been patched, but the last track day we did there, I don't think anyone had any problems.

I think we have several guys coming out from Iowa, probably 5 to 10 guys.

Hope to see everyone out there.

Later

Paul G
www.ciamr.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, so I've done a few sportbike track days, but this will be my first time attempting to ride a SuMo at the track. Anyone feel like being my hand-holder/mentor? :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
bssrf4 said:
Ok, so I've done a few sportbike track days, but this will be my first time attempting to ride a SuMo at the track. Anyone feel like being my hand-holder/mentor? :bowdown:

You will be fine. It is about ten times more relaxed than a big bike trackday. I was very suprised on how relaxed everthing was evertime I go to a motard trackday anywhere. :thumbup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey all,

I stopped out at Norway last Thursday to put in a few laps and finalize the details with Les. I learned 2 things from my brief visit:

1) This track is a lot of fun! :thumbup: Plenty fast for a big bore SM bike, but tight enough to not be boring for a smaller bike.

2) Noise is going to be the #1 limiting factor for us to be able to really grow at this venue. The track is located within the small community of Norway, and sound has historically been an issue with the previous owners. So, what to do? :headscrat All I ask is that, for this track day, if you have an option of a open race exhaust or a quieter or stock exhaust, that you choose the stock exhaust. We want to make the best impression on the townspeople as possible so that they don't give the owner trouble on holding future motorcycle events.

I have heard a lot of good feedback from people on here as well as other sites, and it looks like we might get a good turnout. So far, it looks like the weather is going to hold out as well, weather.com is calling for partly cloudy and mid-60's for Sunday.

I hope to see you all there,
Colin Horn

1 - 20 of 39 Posts