SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,
New to this forum and thinking about building a tard or buying used. I've been racing or riding since 1967 both dirt and asphalt. My current ride is a bit too agressive in riding style for me to last long plus I guess I fear getting hit or putting it down. So I thought I'd get something like my mx racing days, light and fun. It needs to be 40-50 HP and sub 300 lbs. Also I'm fairly short (5'7") so I might have to modify the suspension to lower it. I used to be a Yamaha wrench so I'm pretty good at modifing or maintenance. I do want it streetable so that may be a problem. I haven't checked the laws here in Nawth Ca'lina but I hear they are getting strict.
Any and all help is appreciated on helping me with a decision. Thanks in advance.
Oh.. and being in my 60's I'm not going to be doing anymore racing or really agressive riding, if that makes any difference

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Welcome to SMJ! I don't know what kind of HP numbers we're talking here, but since you're in N.C., take a look on ebay. I saw a nice KLX250sf, pipe, jetted, 351 kit, low miles and a great price in Durham.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I saw that too. I searched about the klx250 and the 351 kit. I'm not that impressed. The 250 has like 19 HP and weighs 300+. Pretty anemic IMO. The best I've heard that people get out of the 351 kit fully modded is 27-29 HP. Plus it falls off the table at about 7500 RPM.
I'm not sure thats going to be enough, but I'm keeping an eye on it. He also had it on Craigslist for $3200. Certainly is a good price though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts