SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just made an account here at smj and love all the cool info i've learned, but I am still a noob at this whole supermoto setup. I know there are tons of threads like this but I was hoping for some help in my specific situation. I have an 05 wr450f and i'm planning on a supermoto conversion, but would like to keep it cheap/use the bare minimum. Larger brakes/ steel lines and other optionals will hopefully come later. I just want a hassle free, but more importantly, cheap way to get street/ supermoto tires and wheels on my bike. I know warp 9 setups can be done for around a grand but I was wondering if anyone has tried building thier own wheels with tusk hubs: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1073/41659/Tusk-Impact-Motorcycle-Hub-Front?0&term=tusk+hub and a spoke kit with some cheaper hoops. I was also wondering what wheel sizes would give me the least hassle- I don't really plan on racing so fitting the biggest tire possible isnt really the top priority for me. Finally, I was wondering what the whole deal is with wheel spacers. Will I need these with a warp 9 kit? What if I use those tusk hubs? Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
657 Posts
The cheapest way out would be to get warp nine rims and spokes and use your stock hubs. That way you keep your speedometer drive as well.

A 4.25 rear rim and a 150 rear tire will give you the least amount of trouble chasing chain clearance solutions.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I run a 5.5 rear on my YZ and the chain doesn't touch wheel but with certain tires the chain rubs just a little. Chain rub to some degree is normal when you put a road race style wheel and tire on a dirt bike. However when chain is trashing your wheel, not normal and you need to do something. You can always offset the wheel to right if need be. If you don't know how to offset by adjusting spokes, do a search and you'll find a bunch of write ups on how to do it. If you're planning to race, or race in the future get a 5" rear wheel. You can get better race rubber with 5" wheel and 165 tire. If this is street only and never going to race, I'd go for a 4.5 if you can find one. 4.5 used to be hard to come by, but maybe thats not the case anymore. BTW I have some Behr hoops and Factory Pro Racing front hub and Talon front hub that I'd sell. No spokes though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts