SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're like me and you use your bike for both sumo & dirt you probably will appreciate this.

I run a different preload settings depending on if I am running sumo or dirt and felt it was a big pain in the butt to have to hammer on the nut at the top of my shock to try and adjust it. My buddy told me that he would grab his spring and twist it to adjust his preload but that didn't work too good considering all the friction cause by the pressure from trying to tighten the spring way down for a sumo set-up. I figured the best option was to eliminate the friction and make the spring easier to turn. I saw this at motosport:

but I figured this was something I could do myself. Therefore, it was off to the internet to see what I could find. This is what I found:

at a place called MSC Industrial Supply Co. The people there were very nice and helpful. I ended up getting 25% off because I set up an account with them and it was my first purchace. Shipping was kind of high, so I ended up spending about 25% of what the cost would have been to buy the parts off motosport. Plus I ended up buying a set for my DR as well, so that help compensate for the shipping, as it was the same shipping cost regardless if I bought one set or two. Which don't get me wrong, I really like motosport and buy stuff from them all the time, but I like doing stuff myself and saving money a lot more.

Here's what it looks like installed: Photo Bucket Linky

I put the parts at the bottom of the spring so that the top of the spring holds on to the adjusting nut and the bottom now moves freely:

This mod make it sssooooo much easier to adjust preload now. Totally worth the little time and money involved. :thumbup:

Here's the parts list for a 2005 Honda CRF450R:
MSC #, Description, Qty., Price, Tax, Ext. Price
03381209, 2.500X3.250X0.032 THRUST WASHER-NEEDLE-FLAT, 2, 2.4700, $4.94
03381019, 2.500X3.250X0.078 THRUST CAGE-NEEDLE ASSEMB, 1, 7.4500, $7.45

·
Registered
425 Posts
I love it how people make stuff themselves. There is so much more satisfaction in making something rather than just buying it and putting it on. I would rather make something than buy it any day. But sometimes you just have to go and buy it.

Good work! :thumbup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
F2 racing sells the roller bearing ,calling it the Unshock.Supposed the reduce stiction of the spring in the beginning travel.Works great on my crf450r.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
F2 racing sells the roller bearing ,calling it the Unshock.Supposed the reduce stiction of the spring in the beginning travel.Works great on my crf450r.
What I did is the same concept, but I guess I just figured out how to do it at half the cost of an "unshock".

But hey, to each their own, I'm just sharing my idea. My .02 and all that. :thumbup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good deal and good find.Somehow I didn't think F2 made those themselves. Nice to cut out the middleman!
HA! I bet the middle-man don't think so! But hey, they have a fancy website and I bet their's comes with a very nice die-cut decal for you to put on your bike. I'd love to work for the middle-man. Some of the stuff on their website is freakin' awesome!

Seriously though; I honestly didn't do a lot of research on this before I did it. I just had a problem, so I found a solution and then decided to share.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ya, I found the same thing at a local bearing supplier and they are dirt cheap, like $6 bucks or so. Definitly make it easier to make your adjustments.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a look at a lightly used one of these -the needle bearings hammer into the bearing washers - imagine the load going thru the little rollers as you land from a big jump. I ended up going with one from Factory R&D that uses teflon/nylon rings - the idea being that the suspension will have less stiction as the spring is compressed if one end of the spring is able to rotate a couple of degrees. Watch out for dirt in the needles as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts