SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy fellas,

Just like the title says, I'm looking for cheap and reliable motor swap options. I'm trying to stay away from anything rare or expensive as I have no need for the "wow" factor, only reliability and cost effectiveness.

Chances are that this will stay on the drawing board forever, but since I have so much money poured into my old yamaha wr400, and the motor has been nothing but trouble from day one, I figured I'd give it a chance at a second life with a different motor before I part it out or cut it up and hang it on the wall and get a different bike completely.

I have a both a steel frame and a welder so modifications for mounting are available, but I want to keep it on the less extreme side of things. I believe this narrows me down to a single or parallel twin, I have yet to do any actual measurements.

My goal for this bike is to have something I can start up everyday and take on trips. I'd like it to still be off-road worthy but that is less of a concern. I'd like to be able to take it on the highway for extended periods without worrying about popping my motor. I'm tired of failing parts, oil changes, and valve adjustments what seem like everyday. I have put probably less than 1000 miles on my bike over the last 4 or so years because it has been broken the majority of the time.

I'm wondering what suggestions you guys have for motors. I don't have experience with any streetbikes except my roommates SV650 which he can go out and ride everyday while I'm stuck staring at mine in my room/back porch, or parking lot.

I'd like fuel injection, but I feel that significantly increases my cost.
The motor that keeps popping up in my head is the KTM LC4 690 as that is my "dream" bike. Or even the BMW G$ 650 $$$$

More realistically I'm looking at maybe a klr 650 or something similar. Maybe a suzuki gs500

Throw me some suggestions!

-Alex

Also, not sure if this is in the right section, mods feel free to move it. I figure street tarders know the most about street bikes :D

P4C

·
Registered
593 Posts
my next project is going to use the same frame you have with a kawasaki 650 twin from their 650r sportbike

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parallel twin.... That's what I;'m talking about. Where are you sourcing your motor if you don't mind me asking? Also, have you started yet?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I'm in over my head. I called a local junkyard and they wanted ~1k for older carbed motors and 1.5-2k for fuel injected motors. Christ that seems expensive. The turbo motor for my car including transmission was only $700 :headscrat

Forum prices were pretty much the same. I'm better off taking the massive loss and parting mine out and just getting a sportbike I'm afraid.

·
Registered
593 Posts
What motopilot said!

Do the er6n motor. Here's an Aprilia SXV with it
:thumbup: thats my bitch, i tried with an sv650 motor already but the er6n will just be loads easier for the project. you can find motors on ebay they are in the 1k range though. but it will last a long time. and you will have a bad ass toy.

·
Registered
913 Posts
how about a older bike with a good motor.Like a XS650 or Kawi 500 ninja. im sure you can find a bike on craigslist cheap .ppl sell bikes they lost titles to cheap.
I love this idea.
Some where on here someone made a super trick WR 660 with a xt660 motor. I like a parallel twin motor setup very much too

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking cheap like under $500 for everything cheap. Been looking at the ex500 motor. It's a parallel twin as well. Might even be able to use my carb on it too which will cut down on cost, but I'd even entertain playing with microsquirt and EFI.

·
Registered
593 Posts
i picked up an sv650 engine k6 motor for 500$ at my local parts yard. be patient something will show up. the ex500 is under powered and a larger motor than the er6n so it will be more of a challenge with less of a payoff inho

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My local parts place wanted ~1k for a used, older motor. Stock for stock the ex500 motor has 13 more horse power than my wr400 and that is more than plenty. The 650 motor has 17 more than my wr400 and at ~2-4x time the cost, I think I can settle for the ex motor, however I am concerned about size. I obviously have yet to measure the frame size or existing wr400 motor, but I would like to avoid excessive frame modifications if possible, but the lower rails don't look too difficult to modify.

Lots of planning to do first, but I might have tracked down an ex500 motor for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You also need to consider weight into your calculations. I still say if you're going to do that much work get the 650 motor. Be patient and good deal will come up.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
While reliable, the ex500 engines are not performers. And sv650 engines suffer from oil starvation during long wheelies. And I don't like the kawi 650. But that's just me. Putting a kawi motor in a yammy is sacrilege to me.

Why don't you just put an 06 wr450 engine in? It will pretty much just bolt on. Done. 06 was supposed to be one of the best years for that motor. Would make it a way better bike, still maintain reliability, parts would be easy. Spend more time riding.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I'm not starting this until I finish the motor swap in my car. I can't justify have 2 never ending projects :lol:

I will hold out for the right motor, I just had the chance for the ex500 for cheap. Since I'm waiting my end goal is EFI streetbike motor. I don't care about displacement or power as long as it is equivalent to the 400 in the bike now. This will give me time to freshen up the bike itself. And yes there will be a build thread if it ever happens.

Keep the ideas flowing. I'm still on the edge of parting this out completely and getting a new bike altogether.

EDIT for above post: I'm really trying to avoid another dirt bike motor. It was too high strung for my tastes, and the 450 is even more so if I am not mistaken. If I'm going to be putting any money into a new motor, it will be one designed to be used on the street. I'd like a motor compact enough that I don't have to cut the frame anywhere, only add metal, but again....lots of measuring comes first.

Also, I don't think weight will be a *huge* issue. Obviously there will be a gain from any motor I put in, but I feel it will be negligible, especially when factoring in the extra power. It's my time for a diet anyway.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Be patient and keep your eyes open on craigslist. After almost 2 years of patiently waiting I got a 2007 Kawasaki 650r for $600. It was a little worse for wear but I plan on a rebuild anyway and I'm only interested in the motor / wiring harness. I will be stuffing it into my KTM560SMR frame over the winter and will have what I consider to be the perfect street SM. I'll do a write up on the build as soon as I start it, I now have most of the parts. And I'll do a CAD drawing for the motor mounts so that anyone who desires to replicate the project can take the CAD files to a machine shop and have the mounts fabricated.
Rebuild will include a little head work and should put me in the neighborhood of 68 - 70 HP, reliable HP.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have the motor out? I would be more than thankful to get some dimensions!

-Alex

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Do you have the motor out? I would be more than thankful to get some dimensions!

-Alex
Not yet, I just got the bike for Christmas. I'll hopefully start taking it apart in January so that I can send the head off for porting while I'm on vacation in February.
What dimensions are you looking for? I can measure almost anything with it still in the other bike.
Aaron

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
The wr450 motor isnt nearly as high strung as you would think. Heavier flywheel, lower compression, not as radical ignition timing or cams. It's really pretty mild as far as "dirt bike motors" go and is dead reliable. Yamaha's 5 valve head's valves hardly EVER need to be adjusted. Can go hundred of hours withought them moving. Also they have a wide ratio tranny which makes street use infinitely better. Not to mention minimal machine work to fit it in, if any at all. Not sure why you had trouble with the 400. Maybe just because that was the first of those motors, any bugs they may have had have long been worked out.

But to each his own. I'm subscribed. Waiting for the end result..

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aaron,

Thanks for the reply. I believe these motors are designed to be at 20* forward, but seeing as yours is still in the bike, it should be easy to measure :D

I was basically looking for the overall foot print of the motor to see if it will be worth fitting. Including the width (pic with blue lines) and the offset of the front sprocket from the center.

-Alex

(p.s. I stole both pictures....sorry!)

As for the 450. I'm just fed up with the dirtbike motor on the street. The 400 was supposed to be the more reliable of the motors. I had custom one piece stainless valves...even more reliable. Still blew up. Motor sounds great but shop said the test showed 75% leak down. I probably put less than 1000 miles on the bike since I got it in '08 with frequent oil changes and valve adjustments, new parts, etc. This thing is getting parted or a street motor is going in. Or a 250 2stroke for a little fun/ selling point.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
That's crazy. You've gotten a lemon or something. Problems like that are unheard of out of WRs. Ill be watching to see what you do

1 - 20 of 39 Posts