SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I changed sprockets on my 2010 WR250X, front 12T and rear 45T.
World of difference guys, was gonna change exhaust but decided to go this way instead.
Very different from stock, I like it.
Stock bike was not as easy to wheelie, but now I got it.
Should've done this earlier. As you can see, I don't care about top end speed because I don't spend much time on the highway.
Almost bought Aprilia SXV450 today,but changed my mind at the last moment.
They are street legal racing machines and require lot of maintenance, little Yamaha is almost free of headaches. Reminds me of 09 CBR 600RR I had few months back, reliable and fun.
Next thing to do on this bike should be Air Box mod, after that we'll see........

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My God, with a 12/45 does the front even stay on the ground?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He he, yeah bike stays on the ground. This is more of a wheelie on demand thing. If your hand is good with throttle, you should be OK. Also I had to get new chain today, obviously it was too short after the sprocket install. I had 3500 miles on the stock chain, it was still in a great shape. And I don't ride like a newb either.
This is so far fun, at least for me. Bike is amazingly quicker, perfect for around town, where I spend most of time anyway. Try it and see for yourself, you'll like it too.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do you feel any extra vibration now? I'm going to end up doing something similar, but I'll be adding a 48 to the rear and using a new chain.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not really, just a lot of power. If these bikes came like this out of factory, nobody would complain about this or that. We would be all happy :lol:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
that 12 tooth is gunna be damn hard on chains

Why?

13t is stock. One tooth lower on front shouldn't make big difference on chain.

Where some might be concerned is the potential contact of the chain with the swingarm.

Pay close attention to chain slack and your swingarm slider. Both top and bottom.
Inspect frequently.

I have a 13t/48t combo and love it. :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've bought bikes that came stock with 12-tooth front sprockets.
I never became aware of any wierd and/or sudden chain wear.

I think a lot of this is fear and myth, and I'm not convinced that a tooth smaller front sprocket will amount to anything as far as that goes because of a tighter-turning chain.
I even read that some guys try to hit upon the correct sprockets that have the number of teeth required to match some kind of math formula involving prime numbers. :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My God, with a 12/45 does the front even stay on the ground?
you could put an 80tooth on the rear of these bikes and they will not be a wheelie machine, if you want the front to come up on these bikes you basically have to be trying to do so or they just wont do it, even geared you'll just run out of gear before the wheelie is 2 inches off the ground anyways.

Do you feel any extra vibration now? I'm going to end up doing something similar, but I'll be adding a 48 to the rear and using a new chain.
if you dont do much highway riding go with a 49 rear its perfect, im gonna go to a 50 when i replace mine but mine cruises 60-65 perfect rpms now, once you hit 65-75 shes screamin out a bit but will run 70 all day if you want

·
Registered
404 Posts
if you dont do much highway riding go with a 49 rear its perfect, im gonna go to a 50 when i replace mine but mine cruises 60-65 perfect rpms now, once you hit 65-75 shes screamin out a bit but will run 70 all day if you want
I don't take it on the highway at all. So will a 112 be fine for the chain since it's only 1 more tooth that I was planning?

·
Registered
48 Posts
what chain did you install with this setup? And did you notice more noise than the stock setup? I feel like ever since I installed new front/rear sprockets and new chain (non-o-ring) it is really noisy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,
also non-o-ring chain on my bike, DID. Cheaper ofcourse, louder yes.
Doesn't bother me at all, still have fun with new gearing. Don't know what sprocket I got now.
At least I take care of my chain and they last longer.
On my 09 CBR 600RR I had 12000 miles in 7 months and chain was still in a good shape as well as sprockets.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why?

13t is stock. One tooth lower on front shouldn't make big difference on chain.

Where some might be concerned is the potential contact of the chain with the swingarm.

Pay close attention to chain slack and your swingarm slider. Both top and bottom.
Inspect frequently.

I have a 13t/48t combo and love it. :D
obviously more torque is goin to be harder on the chain, but also making the chain turn so tight is also hard on it. how much? well u decide, but alittle here and alittle there will add up. im not saying the chain is gunna snap right away(or ever for that matter), just be aware of it. the biggest concern i go through when dropping sprocket sizes be it front or rear is the contact on the chain slider and how much faster i gets worn out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check your bike often no matter what changes you did or didn't to it.
I've heard and seen some bad stuff around , bad things can be avoided.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
obviously more torque is goin to be harder on the chain, but also making the chain turn so tight is also hard on it. how much? well u decide, but alittle here and alittle there will add up. im not saying the chain is gunna snap right away(or ever for that matter), just be aware of it. the biggest concern i go through when dropping sprocket sizes be it front or rear is the contact on the chain slider and how much faster i gets worn out.
If somebody wanted to go down to an 8 tooth or something like that I could see your point.

There's lots of people running 12t fronts without any issues at all.

Chain slider issues seem to be cropping up a bit, but that's happening to people with stock sprockets too.

Chain sliders are designed to wear out.

All I'm saying is this - dropping one tooth from stock, from a 13t to a 12t isn't going to hurt the chain or stress it to any extreme level, assuming the chain tension is adjusted properly.

Not on a wr250x at least.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i cant wait to put a 12 on mine that would be 12/44 along with my new air box door off i will be clutching it up in third lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was clutching it with 12T sprocket front all the tme in second no problem. Now it's a breeze with this setup. Much more fun

·
Registered
107 Posts
ya im sure it is lol. With my 13/44 setup with my pipe and programmer and flapper mod it still did not want to come up in second easy, now with the door of comes up no problem just a little tug

·
Registered
107 Posts
lol i was being sarastic i know it wont do it. I wonder how my bike would line up against one with hardly any miles on it? Can wait to i fresher it up with top end and clutch

1 - 20 of 31 Posts