SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put 160/70 distanzia on 5" exel rim.2003 crf450r. had slight chainrub issues so I built this.Deflection is 3-4mm tops,just enough to spare the tire. WhaddaU Think?

·
Registered
364 Posts
cool idea.
Was the chain rubbing on the wheel or tire ?
Have you already offset the rim by adjusting the spokes ?
Any guess on how long it will wear before it will start rubbing again / need to be replaced ?

A non o-ring chain saved me 2mm on each side . (sorry cann't tell what you have)
Have you already offset the rim by adjusting the spokes ?

Awesome idea once a person has exhausted the other options.
Not a fan of adding a "wear item" that will need to be replaced if I can adjust around it.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I like it. Nice work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback-the wheels are properly laced and offset-with a 150/70 or a slick I don't think it would touch the tire at all.It's that fat tire w/ thick tread that I bought and had mounted.The rollers are about $15 each ,so the whole thing cost less than that slider block Mostrano sells.Should last OK,but we'll see.Have a nice x-ring chain but the extra 2mm increases the issue.That will get used w/the next set of tires.Used only the stock fastenings so the whole thing can come off when I switch.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Have you considered the additional wear on the front sprocket from the chain coming in slightly angled? Looks good though.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i had the chain rollers on my xrl and the rollers lasted about 6,000 miles then i just flipped them over so it would wear in a different spot.the chain stays straight since the roller doesnt touch the chain untill it whips sideways then it will hit the roller before it hits the tire.i ran mine with about 1 mm clearance from the chain line.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As long as the deflection of the chain is not preloaded (ie-not constantly pushing on the chain while not moving) it should work really good. A pre-sideloaded chain will wear much quicker and may help a weak link deform enough to break. The install looks very clean. We have a guy here that is making something pretty similar, and they work great too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To T-bone-yes I installed a 1mm shim from PromotoBillet designed to increase case-clearance for 0 or x-ring chain.But I think it's a choice of poisons-tire rub or sprocket wear.The preload is about the depth of the rivet heads on the linkplates,when resting between the rivets the chain isn't deflected.It may be much ado about nothing,the rub isn't mechanically detrimental,just ugly.I'll take a pic looking up the chain from behind and we'll judge again.thanks!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think it is an awesome idea and good job putting it together !

I would get a wood plane, some dish soap and take off 1-2mm from the edge of the tire... = no chain rub anywhere.

Maybe back off the rollers a hair (with no deflection) and keep the rollers for any chain "whip" ?

Just my thoughts....
:bike:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your thoughts are appreciated. fortunately the roller is adjustable(w/a rattail file)and I've got a little Stanley trim plane that is perfect for shaving tires.Sometimes the engineer in me can spend too much time making things more complicated.Occam'sRazor-simpler is better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts