SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wr 426 already motard and I found straight away that the slack in the chain whipped the crapola out of my rim and it is ruining it. There is little to no room between the wheel and chain and I'm wondering what I could possibly fabricate to attach to the swingarm to keep the chain off of it. I thought stainless steel but that may wear the chain to nothing quick and plastic would just be pushed into the wheel anyway.
This seems like a common problem but what is the common solution?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
You need to offset your rim, get a non o-ring chain if you don't have one already. The graves chain block should be able to be adapted to fit if it doesn't bolt right up.

Here's some links that might help:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=132736

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=131194

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure if it fits, might have to mod it. http://www.gravesport.com/Chain-Block.html
My mate already made one for an XT660 that was converted to a 660X with a 160 tyre - it is a block of special plastic that does not wear, it has been on 10000km already. He is making one for my BRP, he will remove the right angle steel bracket that supports the side of the standard chain guard and fabricate a new bracket that extends further back and mount the block on there.

It will be a month before I get it done as I have to get the bike assembled so he can get the alignment spot on. I will take some pics.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
knowing what i do now, and seeing that there is ZERO wear on the slider, i would go and make mine 1/2 or less as wide as i did on my crf450r (w/ 5" rim), but it's a pretty simple fix.

·
Registered
145 Posts

The groove near the chain on the block is not chain wear, its been grinded. There is almost zero wear on that material... Believe its delrin. I made the bracket out of 5mm stainless with an angle grinder and alot of precision :hmmm:

I have had no chainrub at all anymore. 5" rim with 160 goldspeed (narrow tire btw).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all those ideas guys. I thought get a welder to make Me astainless steel box to encase the chain. Is there something I could put inside of it to reduce the chain wearing or is the chain tough enough for it?
Some awesome methods on here and it is definitely an easy fix. If only I had the time. Thanks again

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Thanks for all those ideas guys. I thought get a welder to make Me astainless steel box to encase the chain. Is there something I could put inside of it to reduce the chain wearing or is the chain tough enough for it?
Some awesome methods on here and it is definitely an easy fix. If only I had the time. Thanks again
Delrin

·
Registered
913 Posts

The groove near the chain on the block is not chain wear, its been grinded. There is almost zero wear on that material... Believe its delrin. I made the bracket out of 5mm stainless with an angle grinder and alot of precision :hmmm:

I have had no chainrub at all anymore. 5" rim with 160 goldspeed (narrow tire btw).
You did a amazing job if you did that with a angle grinder

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the lower portion of chain not rub as well? Always seem to see fixes on the top of the swingarm, but not below...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All sorted

Scalku
Came out looking almost the same as yours. Very neat very pleased. Thanking all you for the help. Will post images when not on smart phone.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
So is this another case where someone wanted a too wide wheel and tyres for a Supermoto conversion?

·
Registered
218 Posts
So is this another case where someone wanted a too wide wheel and tyres for a Supermoto conversion?
I'd think so, and wonder if the extra 5mm tire width on each side is worth all that. A rim shouldn't be and doesn't need to be a wear and tear item.

Tech23

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I see far too many Sumo conversions that stuck a tyre wheel on the back that is wider than needed so I asked. No one needs over a 4.5in rim, and a 150 tyre on the back of a street tard,.. if he does, he is also racing it or track daying it a LOT. Or unless it is a 1000cc monster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a bit over the top honestly. A 5" with a 160 is balance for it. Also no wall on so its dangerous in corners cos you're sitting on less than 10mm of Tread sometimes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts