SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Im sure this has been addressed before, I just picked up my 06 Yam 450f with 5" rear wheel and 160 tire, and of course the chain is rubbing the tire. How do I fix this?? Help....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You might be able to get a narrower chain. I hear you can get your wheel offset too.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've had the same problem with all 3 ktm motard's I've owned, talked to the local ktm shop about it and he said its bound to happen with the wide tires and rims we run on the supermoto's, so far over tightening the chain or finding a thin enough chain guard are the only plausible fixes, but i tried adjusting the chain a little tighter and it kept the chain slapto a minimum for sure but it also made a horrible creaking sound because the chain was being stretched out as i rode so i adjusted it back and have to come to accept the tire and rim getting beat and slashed :headshake it bugs me thou because my rim is getting more and more rashed up everyday

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
+1 on the narrower chain. Non O ring saves width.
I've seen chain rollers mounted to the swinger horizontally and work as a rolling guide. Also a 160 slick actual width is less than a 160 street tire. Hence part of the problem.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
If you have room on the brake side, as mentioned above, just dish (offset) your rim. Loosen the sprocket side spokes four half turns, and tighten the same amount on the brake side and ride it, adjust more if necessary. I actually had to do mine not long ago, for some reason all the newer 150 series tires now rub and they never did that before.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
... for some reason all the newer 150 series tires now rub and they never did that before.
I thought I was the only one who noticed this, I got a new 150 BT016 this spring and have been having some chain rub issues that the one I got 2 seasons ago never had. Supposedly the same tire and the same size.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
On that subject, what type of pattern do you follow if attempting to offset the wheel? Is it done in a cross pattern?
I didn't, I just started at the valve stem and worked my way back around to it.

I thought I was the only one who noticed this, I got a new 150 BT016 this spring and have been having some chain rub issues that the one I got 2 seasons ago never had. Supposedly the same tire and the same size.
Yeah, I started noticing it last year myself, but nothing severe. I've had three different 150's this season, every single one hit the chain big time. I finally got tired of it and dished the rim, it could still use another full turn or so but it's much better now.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Offset the wheel, narrower chain, I run a non "o" ring on my 450, and for gods sake don't over tighten the chain!! I think the chain chatter causes more issues as the chain vibrates side to side... I run the chains LOOSE on both of mine (droopy ass loose) and never an issue... Still on the original chain on my 625 with over 20k on it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Non O ring chain, as stated above. And a chain guide mounted on the swingarm. As the chain begins to wear, it will start hitting the 160, but barely just chewing at it. Not enough to worry about or affect the way the bike rides.

I've ridden mine for 2+ years with this exact setup, and I have never had a problem other wise. I give mine hell on a daily basis.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another option is to space out the front and rear sprockets. You can either buy or make some spacers to move the front spocket over by approx 4mm. I've heard these can be bought from motion pro but should be easy to make. Just make sure the chain is aligneed between front and back sprockets.

Thinner chain
Swingarm Chain Guide
Offset the rear hub

http://www.aaa-racing.com/pages.php?pageid=19

DJ

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes, a 150 BT016 is a LOT wider than a 150 Conti-SM. Didn't have calipers to measure them, but side by side was very noticeable. Motostrano even puts "warnings" on their Bridgestone 150's about the width. Wanted to run the Bridgestone on my CRF, but it was too wide (without going through all the paces to make it fit).

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Yes, a 150 BT016 is a LOT wider than a 150 Conti-SM. Didn't have calipers to measure them, but side by side was very noticeable. Motostrano even puts "warnings" on their Bridgestone 150's about the width. Wanted to run the Bridgestone on my CRF, but it was too wide (without going through all the paces to make it fit).
Dishing your rim is very easy, and took me all of an hour or less, even with tasty beverage breaks. Even the newer contis rubbed on my DRZ, so with the stones I had no choice. Well worth it IMHO, the 003R is the best tire I've had yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dishing your rim is very easy, and took me all of an hour or less, even with tasty beverage breaks. Even the newer contis rubbed on my DRZ, so with the stones I had no choice. Well worth it IMHO, the 003R is the best tire I've had yet.
Doesn't that change the way the bike handles? Then your tire wouldn't be lined up with the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Doesn't that change the way the bike handles? Then your tire wouldn't be lined up with the rest of the bike.
Nah, you're only talking about a few millimeters here, not enough to notice it. But the chain rub going through right handers was very noticeable before dishing the rim, to the point I thought something else was wrong.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm well familiar with dishing my rims. Had it done on both my DRZ and my CRF. I get slight rubbing on my CRF with my 150 Conti - nothing to complain about though. If I was to put a bridgestone on there, I'd probably have to move it over another 1/8 - 1/4" or so - and my spokes are already fairly close to the caliper.

Not saying I couldn't make the bridgestone fit using the above mentioned techniques though. Probably require a little more dishing and sprocket/chainwheel spacers to get it to where the rubbing wasn't too bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts