SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad chain rub on both the upper and lower side of the swingarm. Bike is a KTM 300 exc-e 2008.

How do you guys deal with it?
17x5" rim with 160/60 bridgestone tyre.

Thinking about getting a non-ring chain and making a chain guide on top of the swingarm. It will probably still rub after that but then I'll just let it be and wait for it to make some clearance.

Any better ideas? There's no room for offsetting the rim as you can see. Offsetting the rear sprocket would also require offsetting the front sprocket which I think is impossible due to the front sprocket being secured with a circlip.

Which 160 tyre are you guys running on a 5" rim? I know these tyres can differ quite a bit in actual width also.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Change the tie. All 160 DOT tires are different widths even though they say 160. I think the conti's are thinner than the bridgstones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Toxic Moto Racing makes a pretty good chain slider/guide. Use it to hold your chain away from the tire & replace the pad as it wears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 05 CRF 450x with 5" excel, I have run a couple different rear tires dunlop qt 160 is hella big worst rub of all the tires ive ran. The QT wouldnt even roll the chain(non o ring) was all up in tire. Conti attack sm tire rubbed but it rolled, and i just let the chain( non o ring and o ring both) eat into it. Where the chain hit from my experience doesn't effect anything. The conti is definitely smaller than a QT. Michelin pilot power 3 is what im running now and it fits perfectly. No chain rub from new with a nice gold o ring chain

Drz chain guide has a high wall you can make it work on your bike (some screws in your swingarm😬) might be a cheaper option

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 05 CRF 450x with 5" excel, I have run a couple different rear tires dunlop qt 160 is hella big worst rub of all the tires ive ran. The QT wouldnt even roll the chain(non o ring) was all up in tire. Conti attack sm tire rubbed but it rolled, and i just let the chain( non o ring and o ring both) eat into it. Where the chain hit from my experience doesn't effect anything. The conti is definitely smaller than a QT. Michelin pilot power 3 is what im running now and it fits perfectly. No chain rub from new with a nice gold o ring chain

Drz chain guide has a high wall you can make it work on your bike (some screws in your swingarm😬) might be a cheaper option
So best bet would be to go for the michelin.
Does a non-ring chain move a lot more since it's less stiff? I'm afraid it will move so much that it might even hit my rim at some point. I have like 10mm clearance between chain and rim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Protaper pro series chain is by far the Thinnest chain I could find at 17.5mm that and a toxic Moto chain block got me to no rub at all with a 5 on my husky smr. I’m running a Metzler m7rr which comes in at 161 or 162 I think most manufacturers will tell you the actual width

1 - 7 of 7 Posts