SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hardtime figuring out what is wrong with my bike. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

The Bike:
06 625 SMC, JD Jetting, SAS removed, airbox lid removed, Leo Vince Slip ons.

The Problem:
The bike runs great at low RPM's but just a little bit past half way through the revs it bogs and backfires. I can ride the bike but have to quick shift it to avoid the bogging. The bike also won't start with the electric start when the bike is cold, but starts first kick. Once it is warm the bike will start with the electric starter.

What I have done so far:
I got a new ignition coil (recommended by a local non-KTM shop), wire, and spark plug. These new parts made no difference. I pulled the carb and found oil in the intake(from over filled crank case/pro-longed wheelies:D) Pulled carb apart and cleaned everything and all jets. Even after cleaning carb/jets, still having same issues.

My thoughts:
My only guess what it might be would possibly be cam chain tensioner messed up and chain gets slap at certain RPM throwing timing off? I am really at a loss. If anyone has any ideas/knows what this might be please help! The closest KTM dealer is 2 1/2 hours away and don't want to pay them for multiple hours to try and figure it out. Please help!!!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
from what i have noticed on my bike, bogging mid range is when it is to rich.
i have a 175main, blue needle on clip #2 or 3 (can't remember) from top and 45 (again, dont remember) pilot. starts fine, needs choke when cold, doesn't pop mid-range and seems to run pretty good off-road (as in doesnt get hot)

i have stock exhaust, drilled airbox lid, .030" cometic head gasket, rallye cam and a rd power pump 2

I would really like to get it dyno tuned but can't find one locally and $$ if i did find one.

i can power wheelie in 2nd fairly easy and get 3rd up with clutch if i try.

actually raced rookwv on his 690 rolling in 3rd and DESTROYED his ass:laughingr he is stock though and was slowly gaining when we got up to 105+
had to slow down for other bikes in front

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Since you went through the carb I'll assume that you checked the float level? What about the screen on the petcock in the tank? Could it be dirty enough to not keep up the flow of fuel required??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help so far guys, I had the bike on a dyno about two months ago. Fuel curve looked a little lean, still made 54 horses at the rear tire! I moved the clip down one position on the needle to richen it up. I don't remember how long it was after the dyno run when all this bad stuff started happening. I am gonna move the clip back up one position tonight and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Has the weather changed drastically where you live? It has here, and I had to go one clip richer on the needle to compensate for the cooler dense air. Have to do it every year.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
HEY! GET YOUR ASS OUT OF THE KTM SECTION:laughingr

when you going to come up and ride with the cinci crew?

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
HEY! GET YOUR ASS OUT OF THE KTM SECTION:laughingr

when you going to come up and ride with the cinci crew?
:shhh: don't tell the zook guys, but my handguard mounts are from a KTM. :rofl: I don't know Chris, work and school is keeping me busy for sure. I'd like to come hang out and check out some urban hoolie stuff though. Hope you and the guys are doing well buddy.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
:shhh: don't tell the zook guys, but my handguard mounts are from a KTM. :rofl: I don't know Chris, work and school is keeping me busy for sure. I'd like to come hang out and check out some urban hoolie stuff though. Hope you and the guys are doing well buddy.
Ahh-hah!..that's where those extra ponies came from.:D Just imagine what orange plastic would do.:lol:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Ahh-hah!..that's where those extra ponies came from.:D Just imagine what orange plastic would do.:lol:
Damnit, I'll never hear the end of this one. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts