SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided enough slacking, it's time to diagnose my baby's fuel problems.

Bought my bike last November, started up great and whatnot but didn't really ride it before putting it away for winter.
I charged the battery from time to time but I guess it must have drained completely while I was away at college because it's completely dead and I have to jumpstart it every time now - aka bittersweet time to pucker up and upgrade to the MOTY 4-cell

Once I get it started, however, the bike's been acting up. (mods: 3x3, FCR 39, hot cams, 434 big bore)

I've gotten it to run well enough to ride but as of right now it'll just idle; the moment I touch the throttle it stalls out.
I've managed to flood the engine twice now, and am starting to get anxious.

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to fuel systems/carbs so I've been reading up on carbs in my Clymer manual and online. I'm thinking of buying a JD jet kit, pulling out the carb, and setting it up properly (great learning experience for me) but I'm not sure it's necessary since both POs were roughly at similar elevation :headscrat

I want to double-check with you guys to see if maybe it's something as simple as adjusting my idle or fuel-screw (I played around with it but didn't notice any improvement so left it as it was originally). Any common adjustments I should try/check?

Thanks in advance, really just want to get her back on the road again and rrrriiiidddee :headshake

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Seems like your pilot jet is clogged. Common with a bike that has sat for awhile. Take jet out and clean good with carb cleaner. Check the bowl also,it may need cleaned also.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mux, you're a lifesaver! :cheers: The carb cleaner worked like magic :bannana:

I started taking the bike apart, then thought I'd try just running some carb cleaner through the carb seafoam-style (got the idea here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/carb-adjustment/ )

I pulled the fuel hose leading from the tank to the carb, filled it with carb cleaner, then plugged it back up and ran it for a bit.

After a few cycles of that the stalling went away, so I'm hoping it actually cleared some gunk. Don't want to jinx it but I'm glad it was that simple, shoulda been one of the first things I tried :lol:

I'll try it again once I get my new battery and will be able to take the bike for a test run, if it continues to be choppy/stall I'll pull the carb and clean it properly - as of now it looks promising, though :bike:

·
Registered
123 Posts
you really need to take it apart and clean it correctly to do a good job. It may appear daunting but there is a lot of good information on thumpertalk that can help you understand the inside of a carb. It's really just plumbing.

Take it all apart and spray out all the passageways with brake cleaner (not carb cleaner!) Replace the pilot jet with one of the same size. I know you want to reuse it but they are very precise holes and even if you spray it out it might not be totally clean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts