SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got into SM, always been a sportbike guys with very little dirt experience. I feel like I'm adjusting pretty well to the whole foot out style, but I'm having trouble transferring my old knee out style to the new bike.

I am pretty good on a sportbike and have no problem dragging knee on either of my other two bikes, but I don't think it's possible on my SM. I'm kinda short, 5-8 or so, and the distance from the peg to the seat is longer than distance from my foot to my knee, meaning I can't really hang off the bike without my outside foot coming off the peg. I tried draggin knee the other day, but I ended up just dragging boot/peg first.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just give up on my old sportbike style on this bike?

Also, where should I be on the seat? It feels like its better to be all the way forward with a lot of weight on the front end. Is this right?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
You need to sit more forward on the seat of a motard, because it's a dirtbike. They like having weight on the front tire, which helps them turn. Besides, that's why the seat goes all the way up the tank!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to sit more forward on the seat of a motard, because it's a dirtbike. They like having weight on the front tire, which helps them turn. Besides, that's why the seat goes all the way up the tank!

That's what I figured, it just seemed to turn much easier sitting all the way up like that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
i've had my ZX10 over so far that my leg was pinned between the frame and the ground w/o crashing, but on the YZ426 it too a LOT of work to get it down far enough to trag... and i only did it twice.

Dont worry about actually dragging the knee... just keep good form, and go fast. You don't HAVE to drag a knee to go fast.

Supermotos are naturally taller than sportbikes, and harder to get over... not to mention they're lighter and your weight off the side offsets them more than a sportbike, and you dont have to lean as far over.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
you need to put your inside peg in the arch of your foot and hook your calf to the outside and hang ur ass off as much as possible to drag if you are short on a motard. I'm only 5'7" and I can get er down.

see foot position

the proof (+ blazing up a husky 610!)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Don't over think it. You height has nothing to do with it and neither does the bike. It can be done. Just keep riding, and just as you will start to back it in naturally as you get faster, knee down will happen naturally! Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you can do it on a sport bike you can do it on a SMR. Just feels a little weird because it is taller ......keep leaning her over and your knee will touch. hang off more to help

·
Registered
448 Posts
touched down on the 450 SMR in the slowest turn on the track yesterday... and then nearly spun out coming out of it... lol.

honestly though, the point of going fast isn't to touch your knee down. That's just a byproduct of speed and proper riding position.... the point of going fast... is to go fast!!!! lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
touched down on the 450 SMR in the slowest turn on the track yesterday... and then nearly spun out coming out of it... lol.

honestly though, the point of going fast isn't to touch your knee down. That's just a byproduct of speed and proper riding position.... the point of going fast... is to go fast!!!! lol.
Thanks for the comment, and I agree with what you're saying but I'm not trying to drag knee just for the hell of it. The goal is to go as fast as I can which means leaning the bike as far as I can without crashing.

I know a lot of people do it just for show, but I am way over that stage. I know a lot of really fast people who never drag knee so I know it isn't necessary, I am just more comfortable being able to use my knee to gauge where the ground is. But I haven't been able to do it yet on my SM so I am a little lost in the turn trying to find out where that limit is.

I don't have any pictures of my form on the SM yet, so it's possible I'm just not set up right, but here is a pic of me on one of my sportibkes. I think my form is right, maybe I'm just not translating it to the new bike correctly?

Since my knee isn't touching yet, I'll assume I'm not at the limit so I guess I will just keep leaning until it happens. The thing that keeps bothering me though is that I did drag my boot several times trying.

On my sportbikes, I drag knee way before boot, and if I do drag boot, it means I'm on the verge of loosing it and need to back off a bit.

Oh well, I'm going to the Gap this weekend. If I can't get r down there of all places, I guess it can't be done. Anyone else wanna go celebrate our country's independance with a little bit of hooliganism and contempt for the law? :bike:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
You typically need to get on your toes to keep from dragging foot, no matter what kind of bike it is. Try scooting your butt off the seat to the inside of the turn. You need to hang off that sucker, unlike a sport bike where you can stay hunched in and touch easily. The "hanging" feeling is exarcerbated by the high bars so you will feel like you are hanging off much more than you actually are.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You typically need to get on your toes to keep from dragging foot, no matter what kind of bike it is. Try scooting your butt off the seat to the inside of the turn. You need to hang off that sucker, unlike a sport bike where you can stay hunched in and touch easily. The "hanging" feeling is exarcerbated by the high bars so you will feel like you are hanging off much more than you actually are.
On your toes??? Are you sure you don't mean balls of your feet, because that's what I do. Riding on your toes doesn't seem secure at all.

And like I said earlier, I am hanging off as far as I can without my outside foot coming off the peg.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
balls of your feet is the proper way
True, for the most part, but if you start dragging your toes/boots, you need to adjust. I dragged my toe twice this weekend at the track, so I just made the adjustment and no drag.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
agreed! I sometimes drag toe on the down hill off camber corners that we have at infineon and have to make adjustments. Usually I leave my foot the same and hang off to prevent leaning the bike as much.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
how do you practice going knee down? im used to foot out and want to learn knee down. is it better to learn going at a good speed (30 mph+) or start a lower speed?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
go to a road course hang off like your are riding a sport bike, ass should be totally off the seat to the inside of the corner, like you are trying to pinch a loaf on the rumblestrip, elbows up, head and chest pointed through the corner

rail while tryitn go keep the bike as up right as possible you will drag and start to smoke sportbikes on corner speeds.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts