SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL

I just spent £80 on some O'Neil MX boots to were on my new husky 630, and they dont physically fit under the gear lever! fail! the gear lever isnt adjustable either, any cunning ideas or have i just wasted 80 quid? :headshake

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
bite the bullet dude.

mx boots take a lot of getting used to and they require quite a bit of wear in.

btw, I'd be really surprised if the gear lever isn't adjustable, on our bikes it's nothing more than a bolt holding the lever onto the shifter shaft. the end of the shaft and the inside of the lever have teeth else the lever would just sit loose on the shaft. if it has teeth that means you can move the lever up or down however you want it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
mx boots

I haven't worn my mx boots with my SM but when I used to ride dirt bikes I would just catch the shifter with the inside of the boot. Most times, just the inside sole would be all I need to catch it enough to shift.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bite the bullet dude.

mx boots take a lot of getting used to and they require quite a bit of wear in.

btw, I'd be really surprised if the gear lever isn't adjustable, on our bikes it's nothing more than a bolt holding the lever onto the shifter shaft. the end of the shaft and the inside of the lever have teeth else the lever would just sit loose on the shaft. if it has teeth that means you can move the lever up or down however you want it.

your right it is adjustabe! :hammer: I was just being stupid haha, as it is though no amount of wearing it would allow them to fit :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a size 13 mx boot there's a trick you can do with the pegs if there mx style you can cut the underside of the peg there's a shaft that the spring wraps on the peg if you cut those off the pegs will drop down and back about 1/4 inch you have to switch the springs from right to left and mount the springs on the top side of peg instead of the bottom I've done it to 4 bikes it's the only way I can cram a 13 under the shifter

·
Registered
849 Posts
My Husky came with the lever high - to cater for MX boots. I dropped it down one notch as my preference for street riding is some Arlen Ness street/MX crossover type boots. Getting to that bolt's a bitch though.. I bought some Thor boots and they're still sat in the cupboard. Too cumbersome to walk in. If I was racing I'd buy SM boots yesterday.

·
Registered
60 Posts
LOL

I just spent £80 on some O'Neil MX boots to were on my new husky 630, and they dont physically fit under the gear lever! fail! the gear lever isnt adjustable either, any cunning ideas or have i just wasted 80 quid? :headshake
I have same boots and they are useless for supermoto. Have same problem.
You see Oneal is so thick and stiff it is almost impossible to shift.
I just can't feel shifter at all. I have Alpinestar street boots, they look more like normal shoes and it is flawless. I want however high boots for riding hard in the mountains so I will most likely have to buy some 300$+ supermoto specific boots.
Also if you look at Oneal they tip is extremely thick which for example on my bike makes it hard to fit in under shifter too. They like entry level boots, I guess good for ATV's etc. Good supermoto boot will run you at least 300$ +

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
they don't have to be supermoto specific boots per sé. supermoto boots are just run of the mill mx boots with a different sole attached to it. if you don't slide your feet across the pavement you can just as well get the MX boot variant which often run a bit cheaper as well.

any decent boot will have a decent price as well. if you're going for the cheap stuff that will most likely translate in a real stiff and often cheaply made boot (hard thick plastic and leather, no hinge that will allow you to move your feet more easily, etc...).

if you really want something that's comfy and offers good freedom of mobility you need to look at the higher end stuff. some brand boots simply are way stiffer and harder to move in. king of comfort are sidi's imho with the crossfire model at the top imho. used to have a set of sidi's flexforce boot which was the predecessor of the crossfire. Gaerne's good as well, using the SG10 supermoto right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts