SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
works decent. didnt want to use a bunch of tape or scratch the lcd screen so came up with this. just wanted to get some stupid wheelie video and stuff nothing major. cheap way to do it ya know..hope it inspires someone

neoprene washers really help keep everything from shifting and probably absorb some vibration as well.

·
Registered
713 Posts
For a minute there I thought you drilled a hole in a perfectly good Troy Lee lid!:lol::lol: Very crafty.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Any footage yet?

·
Registered
936 Posts
be careful with that thing... i think scratching the LCD is the least of your worries with a giant kite on top of your helmet!! lol If you low speed, thats a great idea!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
be careful with that thing... i think scratching the LCD is the least of your worries with a giant kite on top of your helmet!! lol If you low speed, thats a great idea!
got up to 65mph (top speed of the bike...downhill :lol:) and i could feel it up there but it didnt move. i definitely dont want to hurt the camera thats the whole reason i came up with the bolt idea so that i didnt have "tape residue" on the camera and helmet :headshake :laughingr:laughingr

i got video pullin wheelies for days on this little bike. looks awesome but the files are too big or something and wont load onto the computer :headscrat

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is that a TW? I love it! Such massive tyres!

I love the little driving lights hooked up on the front. Would that be a legal setup for road riding? I'm looking for healight ideas for my custom XT550 motard, sorta like your little bike there. I like the twin minimal headlight idea, and don't plan on riding at night. I just don't know if the twin headlights would be enough to pass inspection for rego. They're pretty cheap, under $50 here in Oz for a decent set like those, compared to $200 for an Acerbis DOT legal headlight (Cyclops), or a bit less for non-DOT one.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the little driving lights hooked up on the front. Would that be a legal setup for road riding?
I just don't know if the twin headlights would be enough to pass inspection for rego.
they are not dot approved. might come down to how strict the inspection is over in Oz.

i picked them up at walmart for 20 bucks. theyre just 50watt h3 halogens in a real crappy housing. put out decent light...better than the acerbis setup i have on the smc.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah, I can use the stock bucket headlight to pass inspection, along with tail light and turn signals, just to get registered and plated, then I'm gonna use all LEDs and I'm thinking about using some of those little cheapo driving lights like yours. I don't think anyone cares too much around here about DOT legality, dirt bikes are everywhere with their tiny flush mount blinkers, and even at my bike license test, where we have to supply our own bikes, the instructor (who works for the RTA - the equivalent of the DMV) didn't care that one guy had flush mount blinkers - not legal - and another with a CBR had an invisible LED tail light. She only cared that they worked. She didn't even care about my crappy 6v horn that couldn't be heard over the motor, or the other guy's TTR with a loud exhaust - the instructor even had an SV1000 with a loud Yoshi exhaust.

I saw a pair of driving lights like yours for about $30 over here. I don't see the point in paying $200 for a set of twin streetfighter style headlights, when they're essentially the same as a pair of these driving lights.

My 550 is gonna turn out like your TW - stripped down and minimal. I lost the huuuuuge airbox, and repainted the frame, motor, and still painting the rest of the parts. My 550 will be a sort of rat motard- done as cheap as possible. Everything I've painted so far (except the frame) has been done with a paint brush and some cheap matte (more of a satin) black industrial enamel.

I'll be sure to post a thread when the bike is back together and repainted.

Sorry about the off topic post, btw

1 - 12 of 12 Posts