SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new here and new to supermotos.

I sold my fz07 A few weeks ago and decided to build a set of supermoto tires for my klx 300.

The bike has a 92 kx250 front end on it which I found out uses a front brake caliper that doesn’t seem very common. I have searched for a few days and sent a few emails to companies trying to find a caliper relocation bracket and can only find ones that fit 94 and up forks.

That leaves me with a few questions:
1. Has anyone converted an old kx and/or know of a company that makes a relocation bracket?
2. Any DIY optionto make one on the simple? I don’t need it to look fancy. The bike gets ridden and dropped so is far from a show piece.
3. For street riding and the local canyons (no track days or anything like that) will the oem rotor be THAT bad like everything I read?

Thanks advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s a guy who posts at thumpertalk that did this ‘94. Jeekinz is his name. View attachment 155075
I wish I had gone with the 94 forks. I went with earlier ones because I liked the blue anodizing and a Supermoto setup wasn’t on my mind at the time though. I have a EBC relocation bracket for the 94 forks since I found one for a good deal and I wanted to see if there was a way to modify it, but the caliper/mounting is quite a bit different. 94 is the year things changed up a bit it looks like.

Thanks for looking out though.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, I’ll save that photo as reference. If I can’t find something I might need to see about getting something similar to that made for my caliper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was considering doing almost the same exact thing you’re doing for awhile. I couldn’t find a good condition early 90s kx. I did find an 85 cr500 though, so my focus changed to turning that into a street tracker.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey magic, if you make a bracket like the 91 KX500 you can use regular woodworking tools. Id use a forsner bit in a drill press to mill out the recesses, then finish with a dremel or file. Thats what I used to mod the billet kickstand on my 94.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey magic, if you make a bracket like the 91 KX500 you can use regular woodworking tools. Id use a forsner bit in a drill press to mill out the recesses, then finish with a dremel or file. Thats what I used to mod the billet kickstand on my 94.
My main concern would be getting the angle/placement correct for the rotor/caliper to align.

I did take the bike out for a few miles around the block with the stock rotor and it wasn’t as bad as I thought, based on all the internet comments on the subject. I might end up just leaving it this way for the time being. Once we get a cooler morning I’ll have to take it up the mountain and see how the brakes do on the decent though and from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts