SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a forum lurker for a while now and have been doing a ton of research on how to get my 2004 CRF450R California street legal. Well today i finished my last visit to the DMV and now have valid registration/plates for my CRF450R. I started this build in June just after school got out and am still working on the finishing touches. I built this bike on a tight (High School) budget, so naturally the bike is not perfect. I will update more pictures as i finnish the bike.

Before i start i want to get a few things cleared up:
Yes it is an R, not an X
No, this was not easy to do
Everything is about 95% legal
Yes it took a ton of time
I was at the DMV 4 times, CHP once, Brake and light inspection once

So, What did I do?

- Started this project with a used (craigslist) 2004 Crf450r

- I had an extra CRF450X fender which i cut up a little bit to make it fit my bike.

- I had to make a kind of bracket to hold the fender because one of the mounts are different from the X

- I bought a led tail light from sicass racing that fit the CRF450x fender

- Got the rear end mounted up with the light in place

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
- Plasti dipped my hand guards (thought it would look sick)

- Bought some LED light strips (amber color) and wrapped them around the hand guards to use as indicators

- Installed front brake pressure switch

- Installed master switches and mirror

- Put light strips on rear fender as rear turn signals (no idea if it works)

- Laced up my rear wheel, using a stock 18x2.15 excel takasago and pro wheel spokes. Put the wheel in the swingarm and trued it pretty well

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
- Got a killer deal on a front rim off ebay for $20. Did rim 19x1.85 laced with some custom spoke maker from china (ran out of money, we'll see how it turns out)

- Make my self a ghetto truing stand

- ordered some tires off ebay (almost new) metzeler 110-19 front and 130-18 rear.

- at this point i could ride the bike around with the street tires and it was doing just fine.

This is when i decided to tackle the DMV. I did tons of research on this topic before starting. i figured out that special construction is the only way i would have a chance of getting this bike in. Pretty much if your bike has a 3 or a c in the 8th digit your are supposedly screwed. well my 8th digit is a 3... I talked to the supervisor at the DMV and she said that i couldnt use my engine because it is "non compliant". Out of curiousity, when i got home i decided to check my 1997 cr125 if that was "compliant". Turns out that engine is fine... 3 weeks later i had the 450r engine out of my bike and the 125 2 smoke engine in my 450 frame with absolutly nothing wired up. the engine was literally just sitting in there and nothing worked. I went back to the DMV and said i was building a specially constructed motorcycle. i handed her the title from the 450 for the frame, and the title from the 125 for the engine. She then gave me Reg 124, filled out he DMV part, and told me to make an appointment with the CHP. about a month later i trailered the bike to the CHP, the officer wrote down the vin numbers, typed on his computer, and then filled out Reg124. The guy didnt care that the engine didnt work, non dot lights, engine not even mounted, etc... Few weeks later i installed all of the rest of the components and finished up the wiring. then i took the bike to a local shop and they filled out a statement of facts saying that all the lights and brakes work. I then took all of my papers back to the DMV and left with my Plates :)

there are still some loose ends to tie up, and the quality of the work is not the best but i had no idea if this would work so i didnt want to spend hundreds of dollars and be left with a supermoto that i cant ride on the street. In the next few months everything will be cleaned up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
:clap::clap::clap: Man you have found the nicest DMV person and either the nicest or dumbest CHP person ever. Congrats. Back in the day when it was easy, it was never that easy. I've thought about the special construction. Seems to me that the "special construction" build must not mimic the original didn't apply here, weird. Well you gave me new found hope in the DMV and CHP. :rofl::headshake:rofl:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still a little bit suprised my self, but in the end it was definitly worth it. Hopefully some more people can get their bikes through using this method.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's awesome!

I got a CA plate for my 450x this year. Baja kit, brake & lamp, multiple DMV appointments for VIN verification (2nd DMV signed it off).

Glad to see that you were able to do it the special construction route. Makes me wonder if my '02 CR125 has a 3/C in the 8th.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Unfortunately, there is still a good chance that you will someday receive a letter from DMV telling you your plate is being revoked.
Hope not, but it does happen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Let me know if you want any specifics on the process. As far as the 02 cr125 goes i think you might be able to get that in because it should be a green sticker. I am aware that my plates might be recalled however the lady at the dmv and her supervisor both called sacramento and they said i was good to go, so im hoping im ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts