SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at buying a new sprocket for my WR a few months ago and I thought I would give the local yamaha dealership a call to see how much a sprocket would cost. They offered me a few choices in brand. What surprised me was the markup they had on them.

A renthal rear sprocket was going to cost 130 dollars plus tax which would be 147 total. I was in shock by this price because I can get a renthal sprocket off of rockymountainatv.com for 55 bucks plus 30 dollars for shipping and taxes which would make it 85 dollars total. I couldn't believe that the price was so high. Where the hell were they buying them from? This wasn't taking into consideration if they had to make a special order too which would cost even more.

I often read on here about people getting their dealerships to match prices online? I have shopped around the local dealerships and no one can come close to what is offered online. This includes everything from oil filters, tires, you name it. And I find rockymountainatv's customer support is by far amazing too.

So who gets their parts ordered through a dealer? I just feel like they are all crooks that can charge no less than a 50% markup. I understand they have to pay rent and employee expenses but how do they get business if I can get it shipped to my house for significantly cheaper? I was insulted that this guy was going to charge so much for that part.

I guess I just have really bad dealerships in my area...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
There's a reason they're called stealerships.

I know the mark up on car parts was 200% when I was dealing with them, but that was a few years ago. Although I doubt much has changed and I don't see any reason motorcycle dealers would be any different.

·
Registered
140 Posts
point number one would be that they get the parts even cheaper than you can get online and poing number two would be that you pay for convenience and ability to talk to a real person, ask advice etc..

Basically you pay this persons salary and bosses salary on top of the building/storage rent. :)

I don't mind buying from the dealer when I want it NOW!!!! but it's just that dealers in LA area have nothing in stock. They have to "special order" everything... So no I don't buy from them either..:headshake

·
Registered
552 Posts
Some things, like renthal sprockets, are not made by the manufacturer so they don't get a very good bottom line price on them. the dealer is getting them through another source that has already marked them up at least once. And since they don't sell many (cause online prices are cheaper) they don't buy in bulk which would further lower the cost.

I work in chevy parts and yes markup is around double the cost depending on what it is,except on accessories. Accessories are just licensed by GM so our supplier gets them from whoever then marks them up and sells them to me and then i can only list them at GM list price which is like 30% over cost. If i doubled the cost the price would be ridiculous (not that it isn't already) and i suspect that is probably the case here.

unless it is a dealer specific item get it wherever you find the best deal. cause one thing us parts guys hate is "yeah but this place had it cheaper" then go fuckin get it there and stop bothering me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thats exactly what I did. Thanks for the insight. And I guess one does pay a premium for dealing with an actual person.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts